Gibson Brands Forums

Curious about AJ-220S

kombo

I'm interested in the AJ220S at the price point. I did a search on the Epi forum and only found 6 threads with very limited info. I've searched google for reviews and youtube to hear it. There aren't too many reviews or videos out there.

Does anyone on here own one? I'm an intermediate player and was hoping to hear some feedback from similar level players. I guess my greatest concern is the warping of the neck. I read a few reviews with people complaining about the neck warping and rendering it unplayable after about a year.

Any feedback from current owners would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I own an AJ220SCE (cut away electric) same exact body as the AJ220S but with a cut away and electric pick up. I like mine very much after over a year of use. It sounds great, and looks great, and the action is very sweet and low. I keep it humidified at 48 to 50% and have had no problems with the neck. I HAVE heard of the neck warping problem on this model and am not sure why there are so many. I would suggest you keep it humidified and that may alleviate the problem, or maybe I just got lucky on mine. Other than that I have no complaints. I have noted repeatedly, that MF (musicians friend) has previously shown that there were 16 of these or more, that had been returned due to severely warped necks. I am an Epiphone fan, but I am not a fan of their poor quality standards. China or no China, Indonesia or no Indonesia...there is simply no excuse for a failure rate like this seen on any guitar. I would suggest you find one in a music store like GC and inspect it closely before you buy. As always with Epiphone, you must search to find a good one. Sad. Even my 3 Masterbilts had to be returned 3 times each to find one with minimal defects. If you find a good AJ220S, you will love it. It has a very clear tone and the solid top really makes it sound great!. Good luck on your hunt. I am presently looking for a new Epiphone Hummingbird Pro to use for a camping guitar, but I have yet to find a single one without ugly lines of run off on the sitka top....for that matter you can't presently even find a new Epiphone Hummingbird Pro in the entire country...GC...MF...Sweetwater...ALL of them are OUT of stock. Clearly someone at Epiphone is not only asleep at the switch, but comatose as well. It is the only company I know of that makes a product but can't deliver any of it to retailers to sell, causing massive shortages of the very product they need to sell. And as always, for Epiphone, on these subjects for stock, defects, or canceling production of entire Masterbilt lines..MUM is the word. Perhaps it is time for consumers to move on to a more quality produced acoustic guitar product, which is delivered on time to customers, like other guitar makers do.

I own an AJ220SCE (cut away electric) same exact body as the AJ220S but with a cut away and electric pick up. I like mine very much after over a year of use. It sounds great, and looks great, and the action is very sweet and low. I keep it humidified at 48 to 50% and have had no problems with the neck. I have heard of the neck warping problem on this model and am not sure why there are so many. I would suggest you keep it humidified and that may alleviate the problem, or maybe I just got lucky on mine. Other than that I have no complaints. I have noted that MF (musicians friend) had previously shown that there were 16 of these that had been returned due to severely warped necks. I am an Epiphone fan, but I am not a fan of their poor quality standards. China or no China, Indonesia or no Indonesia...there is simply no excuse for a failure rate like is seen on this guitar. I would suggest you find one in a music store like GC and inspect it closely before you buy. As always with Epiphone, you must search to find a good one. Sad. Even my 3 Masterbilts had to be returned 3 times each to find one with minimal defects. If you find a good AJ220S, you will love it. It has a very clear clear tone and the solid top really makes it sound good. Good luck on your hunt. I am presently looking for an Epiphone Hummingbird to use for a camping guitar, but I have yet to find a single one without ugly lines of run off on the top....for that matter you can't presently even find a new Epiphone Hummingbird pro in the entire country...GC...MF...Sweetwater...ALL of them are OUT of stock. Clearly someone at Epiphone is no only asleep at the switch, but comatose as well. It is the only company I know of that makes a product but can't deliver any of it to retailers to sell, causing massive shortages of the very product they need to sell. And as always, for Epiphone, on these subjects for stock, defects or canceling production of entire Masterbilt lines..MUM is the word. Perhaps it is time for consumers to move on to a more quality produced product, which is delivered on time to customers, like other guitar makers do.

I really appreciate your detailed reply. I am definitely not concerned with small blemishes or defects as long as it plays well and lasts. You definitely reaffirmed my hunch that it's basically a crap shoot if I order one online. As with every guitar I realize you should play it first to see how it feels, but I was hoping to get one of these AJ200s at such a great price online that I could live with not playing the actual one I am going to buy first. Also, I plan on using this guitar when playing with friends, so I'm expecting it to get dinged up. That's why I'm not looking to spend much. If I get a "good" one, then I'll feel even better about my purchase. If not, I guess I can always return it right away. Thanks for your insight. It helped lean me in the direction of buying one. I'm still going to take a few days to decide. Good luck in your Hummingbird search.

I really appreciate your detailed reply. I am definitely not concerned with small blemishes or defects as long as it plays well and lasts. You definitely reaffirmed my hunch that it's basically a crap shoot if I order one online. As with every guitar I realize you should play it first to see how it feels, but I was hoping to get one of these AJ200s at such a great price online that I could live with not playing the actual one I am going to buy first. Also, I plan on using this guitar when playing with friends, so I'm expecting it to get dinged up. That's why I'm not looking to spend much. If I get a "good" one, then I'll feel even better about my purchase. If not, I guess I can always return it right away. Thanks for your insight. It helped lean me in the direction of buying one. I'm still going to take a few days to decide. Good luck in your Hummingbird search.

Great. If you don't like the online deal you can send it back. I have seen these in stores as well...If you get a good one...and really you just might..then it will be worth it..mine is vintage sunburst and the fit and finish on mine is absolutely perfect..but I did see and play it first in a Guitar Center....the very high quality sound you will find on the AJ220S will leave you amazed within a few days of opening it up. How does it sound?....click and watch the video below to see and hear how the AJ220S actually looks and sounds..it is QUITE ACCURATE in terms of how it looks and plays..very nice indeed.. here is the link...just turn up the volume on your computer!

Great. If you don't like the online deal you can send it back. I have seen these in sores as well...If you get a good one...and really you just might..then it will be worth it..mine is vintage sunbirst and its fit on finish on mine is absolutely perfect..but I did see and play it first in a Guitar Center....the very high quality sound you will find on the is AJ22S will leave you amazed within a few days of opening it up. How does it sound....click and watch the video below to be see and hear how the AJ220S actually looks and sounds..it is QUITE ACCURATE in terms of how it looks and plays..very nice indeed.. here is the link...just turn up the volume on your computer!

Thanks! I saw this video and wasn't sure if the marketing department might have edited the sound. I'm glad to hear that the video is quite accurate. That pretty much sold me on one. I'm a sucker for the slope shoulder guitars.

Thanks for your replies!

I woke up this morning and decided to buy it, but someone had already bought it. There last night, gone today. I guess that's what I get for being indecisive. At $112 no tax, free shipping it was a steal. [confused]

Archived