Gibson Brands Forums

PAF pickups identification - please help

iced77

Hallo everybody. I have a big reqest to you. I bought the Les Paul Custom 1983 but there are not original pickups. I took a look inside and surprise - this ones looks like a real vintage original PAF pickups.

I´m sending you a few photos and please can you look at it and write me your opinion what kind of pickups is it? I am not so deep informed about it. Thank you very much. And sorry my english:-)

Mike (Czech republic)

post-57973-060552300 1372915450_thumb.jpg

post-57973-044502700 1372915458_thumb.jpg

post-57973-096371900 1372915480_thumb.jpg

Hallo everybody. I have a big reqest to you. I bought the Les Paul Custom 1983 but there are not original pickups. I took a look inside and surprise - this ones looks like a real vintage original PAF pickups.

I´m sending you a few photos and please can you look at it and write me your opinion what kind of pickups is it? I am not so deep informed about it. Thank you very much. And sorry my english:-)

Mike (Czech republic)

Hi Mike....unfortunately those are not original PAFs. See this article for the tell-tale signs of old PAFs http://home.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html

Here is a pic of my 1957/1958 PAF. Note the L-shaped tool marks on the two legs

SAM_0413.jpg

Very difficult to speculate on what is in there. The PAF stickers can be bought on the Net. They are readily available. Could be those pups are boutiques or any other humbucker. I doubt if they are Gibson because why would anyone swop the gold plated Gibson Custom LP pups for another set of Gibson pups ? How do they the sound ?

If you're not satisfied with the tone, I would suggest you get the Gibson classic '57 s.

Very difficult to speculate on what is in there. The PAF stickers can be bought on the Net. They are readily available. Could be those pups are boutiques or any other humbucker. I doubt if they are Gibson because why would anyone swop the gold plated Gibson Custom LP pups for another set of Gibson pups ? How do they the sound ?

If you're not satisfied with the tone, I would suggest you get the Gibson classic '57 s.

No the sound is brilliant! I used to play 490/498 for a long time on my Standard and Classic 57 I have on my Custom PRS. This pups from LP Custom sounds more creamy, like more "noble" sound, not sou sharp but with a lot of hights. I definitelly don´t want to replace them. I just wonder what kind of pups is it.

No the sound is brilliant! I used to play 490/498 for a long time on my Standard and Classic 57 I have on my Custom PRS. This pups from LP Custom sounds more creamy, like more "noble" sound, not sou sharp but with a lot of hights. I definitelly don´t want to replace them. I just wonder what kind of pups is it.

Mike, I notice that the pole pieces ("screws") are gold plated. Those may be the original Les Paul Custom pups ? My thoughts are someone took the original gold-plated covers off..

Mike, I notice that the pole pieces ("screws") are gold plated. Those may be the original Les Paul Custom pups ? My thoughts are someone took the original gold-plated covers off..

Yes. It is possible. I´ve been told that the covers were removed and this should be for 100% original Gibson pickups. I only don´t know which one.

What is the output of the pick ups? I would think that those pickups might not even be original to the guitar. I believe that the 83 customs came with Shaw pickups. I've included a picture here of a shot of a Shaw pick up out of an '82 Les Paul anniversary model.

9055494894_04ff284cd2.jpg

The inside of these particular pickups look like this:

8545246681_c861547a80.jpg

Note the white plastic spacers that are typical of a number of pickups from this time. Also, note that your baseplate does not have the patent number that many pickups from this time period also have.

The tops of the bobbins should look like this.

8525921349_f2e8abd95f.jpg

Archived