Gibson Brands Forums

Calling all vintage PAF experts

kleinman

I recently acquired a Gibson PAF pup which shows little circles on the pole pieces. Could not find any such similar example on the Net until I saw one on Ebay...a '59 PAF

My one showing concentric circles on pole pieces

paftop2SAMsmall.jpg

Bottom view

pafSAM_0469.jpg

The '59 on Ebay

paf59circlesonpoles-1.jpg

Has anyone seen similar pole pieces on early PAFs ? I'm trying to authenticate the pup without having to remove the cover.

I recently acquired a Gibson PAF pup which shows little circles on the pole pieces. Could not find any such similar example on the Net until I saw one on Ebay...a '59 PAF

The '59 on Ebay

paf59circlesonpoles-1.jpg

Has anyone seen similar pole pieces on early PAFs ? I'm trying to authenticate the pup without having to remove the cover.

This pickup is suspect anyways.

I've never heard anyone mention those concentric circles. Looking at your bottom view pic suggests that yours is not original.

Most questions re: PAF's can be answered here: PAF's

Re the concentric circles...that's why I asked if anyone has noticed it. I have now seen one other example, also from '59 with these circles on the some of the poles.

Thanks....I know the provide.net site very well.

Re. my bottom view pic....the tool marks on the legs are all there if that is what worries you...some of them are covered with a yellowish lacquer.

1373460633[/url]' post='1397543']

Why do you think both these pups are not original ?

The picture from the eBay example looks funny to me only because of the spacing in the holes for the pick up cover. The pick up cover looks too big for what appears to possibly be a bridge style pick up. I only suggest that it might be a bridge style pick up because of the ruler in the picture but it is still hard to judge. As to your pick up, the baseplate looked a little funny because of the marking around the height adjustment screw holes for the adjustment screws. Also the tooling marks were not that clear to me. Also the decal on yours is upside down compared to most of the pictures I've seen but it's all a judgment call to me. I'm not sure if anybody will be able to prove what your pickup is unless you take it apart, but that's going to be up to you as well. How did you happen to come by this pick up if you don't mind me asking?

The picture from the eBay example looks funny to me only because of the spacing in the holes for the pick up cover. The pick up cover looks too big for what appears to possibly be a bridge style pick up. I only suggest that it might be a bridge style pick up because of the ruler in the picture but it is still hard to judge. As to your pick up, the baseplate looked a little funny because of the marking around the height adjustment screw holes for the adjustment screws. Also the tooling marks were not that clear to me. Also the decal on yours is upside down compared to most of the pictures I've seen but it's all a judgment call to me. I'm not sure if anybody will be able to prove what your pickup is unless you take it apart, but that's going to be up to you as well. How did you happen to come by this pick up if you don't mind me asking?

I'm pretty sure that the base plate, etc of mine are original and legit. What I'm not too sure of is what's under the cover as I think the solder joints were broken at some stage. Think I may have to open it up to get peace of mind.

I got this pup as an extra with my single PAF ES-175. Where it originally came out of I can't say. It's a bridge pup. My ES-175's PAF has the narrower pole spacing and measures 7.5 k ohm.

Archived