Gibson Brands Forums

EMG in a Les paul Help

EvoRider

I just got thru installing a set of EMG's 81/85 active set into my les Paul it is not the ZW set it was just two pickups and the wire with the battery hook up installed to the guitar input. I did not change the pots but just hooked it up to the stock pots. And disable the ground to the bridge. My problem is when I touch the pickups it makes a static sound and when I rub the pickups it makes a scratchy sound. Why is it doing that?? I traded for these earlier today and there was no instructions on how to do so.. past that the pickups sound great..

Also would like to find or make a battery compartment for my back plate so I don't have to remove the whole thing to change the battery. Any ideas?

You need special pots with actives, 25K. If you have noise, that means a grounding issue; something's not in the ground loop.

I figured it out. the guy I got them from must not of known about the wire in a wire. he just soldered the braided part of the wire to the pot tab. Instead of the braided to the pot ground and the center wire to pot tab. I still need to replace the pots to 25k ohms but at least I got to here them tonight.

Archived