Gibson Brands Forums

My Midtown Custom needs help!!!!

Davestarr

Hey guys, so I've had my Midtown Custom in Ebony for several months now, and I have always been annoyed by how high the action is. I just have to bend a string and my fingers are underneath all of the strings. So my question for you is how might I lower the action on my Guitar? I don't want to pay anyone to do it, I would like to do it myself. Thanks!

Hey guys, so I've had my Midtown Custom in Ebony for several months now, and I have always been annoyed by how high the action is. I just have to bend a string and my fingers are underneath all of the strings. So my question for you is how might I lower the action on my Guitar? I don't want to pay anyone to do it, I would like to do it myself. Thanks!

Just lower it down either side with the thumb wheel (tuneomatic bridge)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something well worth doing IMHO?

Had my Ebony Midtown Custom for about six weeks now (Got it from http://www.thomann.de/uk in Germany who managed to get a limited run done?), and although I love the look & the feel of the guitar, I was initially disappointed with the build quality & playing it was another story! Serious miss-tuning on open chords & the 1st (E) string would slip off the fret board if your pinky didn't hit it square on. Anyway, I've squared up & set up everything now, but yesterday I replaced the Gibson nut with an Earvana nut & BOY what a difference!!! It's like playing a different guitar!!! Within 5 minutes I'd fallen head over heels in love with her! No more string slip or miss-tuning & even notes played up the fret board are indicating on the tuner as being spot on the note. I wouldn't do this yourself unless you have the right tools & a lot of nerve, but the nut was £25 from eBay & having built guitars and service/set up many in the past, I did it in about 2 hours. If your not comfortable doing it DIY, then take it to your tech guy.

WHY GIBSON DON'T FIT THESE AS STANDARD ON ALL THEIR GUITARS IS BEYOND ME!!

http://www.earvana.com/

Something well worth doing IMHO?

Had my Ebony Midtown Custom for about six weeks now (Got it from http://www.thomann.de/uk in Germany who managed to get a limited run done?), and although I love the look & the feel of the guitar, I was initially disappointed with the build quality & playing it was another story! Serious miss-tuning on open chords & the 1st (E) string would slip off the fret board if your pinky didn't hit it square on. Anyway, I've squared up & set up everything now, but yesterday I replaced the Gibson nut with an Earvana nut & BOY what a difference!!! It's like playing a different guitar!!! Within 5 minutes I'd fallen head over heels in love with her! No more string slip or miss-tuning & even notes played up the fret board are indicating on the tuner as being spot on the note. I wouldn't do this yourself unless you have the right tools & a lot of nerve, but the nut was £25 from eBay & having built guitars and service/set up many in the past, I did it in about 2 hours. If your not comfortable doing it DIY, then take it to your tech guy.

WHY GIBSON DON'T FIT THESE AS STANDARD ON ALL THEIR GUITARS IS BEYOND ME!!

http://www.earvana.com/

Honestly, all guitars and basses of mine do have their stock nuts, from bone over Corian to die-cast locking nuts, and I never had any problem to adjust for perfect intonation.

The E1st slipping from the fretboard, however, is another point and shouldn't happen. This is not common, but a friend of mine had this problem with his 1992 Howard Roberts Fusion II which was in need of a new nut then.

Taking a look to the earvana website, my impression is that they try to make people believe that the nut is different from frets due to laws of physics. OK, a nut is not a zero fret, but if properly set there will appear no difference when fretting at the first or any other fret. Perhaps a very slim nut as e. g. on Fenders helps to achieve the same bending radiuses as on the fret wire, but to my experience medium or jumbo frets work pretty much the same as a nut. So I don't have intonation troubles at all.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I got my Mid-Town (P90) a couple of weeks ago and also have the tuning issue at the nut.

I believe it's too high and causes too much string bending hence out of tune chords.

I haven't come across any issues with the 1st string slipping off the fret board though.

Will be taking it back for setting up later this week hopefully that will sort it out.

I would have hoped that the factory would have done a better job of it.

Cheers,

Luke

I go to youtube and google for all of my guitar maintenance needs. there are thousands of videos out there.

I learned how to set action, adjust truss, and intonation. be careful with the truss rod and dont set the action so low that you get buzz.

I also learned how to replace pickups and stuff.

Yep [thumbup] I totally agree.

YouTube is my main source of how-to for just about everything.

Have you guys seen this? I found it very interesting.

I'll let the store do the setup for me this time since it is part of the free service when you buy a guitar from them.

Cheers,

Luke

Archived