Gibson Brands Forums

Grover Tuners Problems

Vintachi

I was just stringing my guitar (Epiphone Les Paul Plustop Pro/FX) and trying to tighten the nuts on the grover tuners suddenly the nuts became loose on the high E string.

I removed the tuners and tried to tighten it outside the guitar's head just for the sake of knowing it's not loose. It works perfectly, outside the guitar but after re-installing it to the guitar, the nut will not lock on the metal sleeve. Either the post is to short or the washer is too thick, there's about 2-3mm difference for the nut to fit perfectly.

Please tell me that this is fixable, and how to do it. [confused]

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Vin !

the nut/collar on your tuner isn't tightening when it's on the guitar?

never heard of that happening before.

is there any way you can download a photo of the unit (off the guitar and taken apart) so we can see what's actually going on?

I was just stringing my guitar (Epiphone Les Paul Plustop Pro/FX) and trying to tighten the nuts on the grover tuners suddenly the nuts became loose on the high E string.

I removed the tuners and tried to tighten it outside the guitar's head just for the sake of knowing it's not loose. It works perfectly, outside the guitar but after re-installing it to the guitar, the nut will not lock on the metal sleeve. Either the post is to short or the washer is too thick, there's about 2-3mm difference for the nut to fit perfectly.

Please tell me that this is fixable, and how to do it. [confused]

Thanks!

Is the tuner fitting flush on the bottom of the headstock? There shouldn't be an alignment stud that needs to fit in a hole on the bottom. You say that the threaded post is too short by 2-3mm? This all really doesn't make sense if all the parts are fitted identical to the rest of the tuners and the tuner itself is lying flush on the bottom of the headstock. A trip to the music store may be in order. They change tuners all the time if they have a tech in-store.

Thanks guys! I think the problem is that the first 1mm thread on the nut/collar is loose. What I did is that I changed the washer(2mm thick) to 1mm and a placed a Teflon tape on the thread. It voila! it worked! [biggrin]

Archived