Gibson Brands Forums

A Method for Restoring Color To Abalone on a Byrdland Headsock?

I have a '67 florentine cutaway Byrdland that I dearly love. It has been extremely well-played, and shows its age, 30 years of 6 nights/wk use, and the accompanying sweat, grime, oil, and cigarette smoke have yellowed both the binding and the abalone. That's fine with me, basically, because it just oozes with character. I would love it, though, if I could restore the beauty of the abalone of the distinctive "flower pot' (for lack of a/the proper definition for it)inlay on the headstock. And for that matter, it'd be cool if there was something that could brighten-up the binding, as well. I've heard that one has to be careful cleaning abalone, because, for example, acid-based cleaning chemicals could produce hideous, ghastly results . So, my questions are-a) Am I being to anal about the whole thing, and should find another stupid thing to occupy my mind? B) Is there some easy and idiot-proof method that could do the above?

Peace, love, respect to all!

post-57023-036353100 1375424313_thumb.jpg

I will answer, but I am not the type who wants white bindings on a vintage Gibson. From what can tell from the photo.....that is the perfect look.

The headstock logo if still intact, would be covered with aged nitro-lacquer and the 'mellow yellowing' is a characteristic of time. I would not try to brighten it.

Nice guitar....how is the pickguard holding up? I had one just like it and the guard was gassing and decomposing. I had another made by Mirrabella Restorations.

Rod

I will answer, but I am not the type who wants white bindings on a vintage Gibson. From what can tell from the photo.....that is the perfect look.

The headstock logo if still intact, would be covered with aged nitro-lacquer and the 'mellow yellowing' is a characteristic of time. I would not try to brighten it.

Nice guitar....how is the pickguard holding up? I had one just like it and the guard was gassing and decomposing. I had another made by Mirrabella Restorations.

Rod

Nice, Rod! Thanks! Great Answer that feels right! This one's pickguard has has been amazing. I haven't even thought about it, or considered something could go wrong with it. It was just always there, doing just what it's supposed to do, hopefully-that being nothing.:) I did have a '63 flo-cut that had similar issues to yours, and I got another one at a Gibson "road-worn" sale, luckily, for about $45, if I remember correctly.

I also got an extra tailpiece for it that was identical to all of the other Byrdland tailpieces, but didn't have "Byrdland " engraved on it. The top-plate also had a rougher texture. I wish I still had it. I know a bunch of thoise were sold, and I wish I could find another one! I'd put it on my '446. it's such a sublime guitar also, but the hardware is not worthy of such a nice instrument!

Peace, love, respect, Rod!

Archived