Gibson Brands Forums

WTB: 1951-1954 Gibson J-45

gotomsdos

Hi, old buddies !

Hi,I'm considering getting an early 50s Gibson J-45 (1951-1954).

1, Vintage guitar's situation

Worn out, are they still playable ? what about their hardware situation and tone quality ? Need repair ?

Since it's over 60 years, so what's the condition of its frets and braces (top and back) ? buzzes ? Needs repairing or replacing?

2, Tone

What's the main tonal differences between 40s and 50s(1950-54 ones. I wouldn't like ADJ ones <from 1955)

I mainly play folk by fingerStyle (for singsing, I sing Bob Dylan, James Taylor, and the like), less pop, so mainly strumming, broken chord and sometimes accompaniment solo. When strumming I'd like to get enough clear tone with both a good chord harmony and a good resolution. I have a Ren's J-35 reissue (2011), it sounds brassy light (great), less bass, so I'd like an early 50s J-45 (which better have more bass besides good highs)to marry it, not brother it.

I also have a Martin HD-28 which sounds a little too strong, a little too bassy, boomy. Maybe early 50s J-45's tone is that between J-35 and Martin HD-28 ?

Or any other suggestions to me for my tonal preferences ?

3, Websites to buy

And where are the best websites to get Gibson vintage acoustic guitar (with good price and good feedback)?

(I'v already known of this site here, Acoustic Guitar Forum, and Martin Guitar Forum)

4, reasonable price range

I find a few 1951-1954 J-45s on Gbase with a price range from 5500.00 -- 7000.00 according to condition (good, very good, excellent). Is this price range basically reasonable ?

Any input will be appreciated !

Hello again, Gotomsdos! Welcome back.

The production year of that guitar is most likely 1946/1947, judging by the logo. That is a script logo without the banner and they were only made like that sometime in '46 and '47.

The model, however, is up for debate. I have heard stories of script logo J-50s but I've never seen one. I think they don't exist. The J-50 was produced in limited numbers in '42 and early '43 then production ceased until 1947. That was when the block logo (current logo) was introduced. My J-50 is a 1947 model and all visible specs match Dylan's guitar except the logo and the fact that my guitar has the original natural finish.

I believe Dylan's guitar is actually a refinished J-45 from 1946 or '47. Here's mine:

DSC_0257_zpsd492b9cd.jpg

Hello again, Gotomsdos! Welcome back.

The production year of that guitar is most likely 1946/1947, judging by the logo. That is a script logo without the banner and they were only made like that sometime in '46 and '47.

The model, however, is up for debate. I have heard stories of script logo J-50s but I've never seen one. I think they don't exist. The J-50 was produced in limited numbers in '42 and early '43 then production ceased until 1947. That was when the block logo (current logo) was introduced. My J-50 is a 1947 model and all visible specs match Dylan's guitar except the logo and the fact that my guitar has the original natural finish.

I believe Dylan's guitar is actually a refinished J-45 from 1946 or '47. Here's mine:

DSC_0257_zpsd492b9cd.jpg

WoW ! What a sexy body of J-45/50 !

Thank you tvguit so much !

And what's the approximate street price for this stuff(194x/195x J-45/J-50) ?

I have some for sale including this J-50. Email me if you are curious at tvguit (at) gmail.com

Thank you tvguit ! I read your blog, detailed and interesting stories, a sentence as followed reads like you're a poem.

",,,I carefully picked it up like a child forgotten by the hourly workers in a nursery (what a sad metaphor!). "

It seems to be that I'd like an early 50s J-45 with a block logo (cause I have a Ren's J-35 <30s J-35 reissue, actually I feel it's late 30s gauge>, a 40s one has a gauge too close to my J-35, so I prefer early 50s).

But I don't know if I can afford an early 50s one.

My email: tdaim@sina.com

I believe Dylan's guitar is actually a refinished J-45 from 1946 or '47

Years ago I saw what I remembered to be a script only J50, like Dylans. I gave it no thought or got a pic. Since then I had not seen one, so perhaps my memory is bad. This discussion came up on UMGF and someone posted a pic of a script only J50 which I recall looked original. If they did make a script only J50 they didn't make many because they just don't show up. I probably saved that pic from UMGF, but I'm at work. If I find it or the thread I will post it.

Wouldn't it be interesting that both Bob's famous Gibson guitars were refinished, his Nick Lucas and J50.

Gibson should do a reissue of a script only J50, call it the folk singer special. People would know who the folksinger is.

Terry

Years ago I saw what I remembered to be a script only J50, like Dylans. I gave it no thought or got a pic. Since then I had not seen one, so perhaps my memory is bad. This discussion came up on UMGF and someone posted a pic of a script only J50 which I recall looked original. If they did make a script only J50 they didn't make many because they just don't show up. I probably saved that pic from UMGF, but I'm at work. If I find it or the thread I will post it.

Wouldn't it be interesting that both Bob's famous Gibson guitars were refinished, his Nick Lucas and J50.

Gibson should do a reissue of a script only J50, call it the folk singer special. People would know who the folksinger is.

Terry

Thank you TM. But now I'd like an early 50s j-45 (1951-1954)...

I sent photos to the email address published here. I tried to PM you, but you are not receiving any more messages.

Thank you Smurfbird for your goodness!

Your 1952 J-45 looks very good. Would you please make a sound clip ? Without a sound clip, I'll have no feel of its sound, sort of hard to decide.

Check your email, I sent you a note asking you how you'd like me to string the guitar. I've never posted a live video of myself playing on You Tube, which seems to be the best way for you to hear and to see the guitar in action. It's time I learn anyhow, so I'm getting the gear I bought to do such things with out of the closet and will look to make your clip once I know what strings you would prefer to judge the sound by.

Perhaps some pros on this board could instruct us on the best brand/ gauge to use on a 52 J-45.

Check your email, I sent you a note asking you how you'd like me to string the guitar. I've never posted a live video of myself playing on You Tube, which seems to be the best way for you to hear and to see the guitar in action. It's time I learn anyhow, so I'm getting the gear I bought to do such things with out of the closet and will look to make your clip once I know what strings you would prefer to judge the sound by.

Perhaps some pros on this board could instruct us on the best brand/ gauge to use on a 52 J-45.

Thank you, I replied to your email.

I emailed to you saying that 012 pressure would be better for J-45's sound (not 013).

I feel Gibson MasterBuilt Phosphor isn't good on my J-35.

Up to you.

Hope you make a good sound clip..

Yes, I'm waiting on a friend to come by and show me the best way to make a soundclip.

Anyone on this board have advice on the best way to make one? I have a FireStudio mobile that is supposed to be good for plugging in a BlueSpark mic. But what program is best and how to embed here?

Terry

I -- and others I'm sure -- have suggested this a few times when visiting in Bozeman, and the response has always been "Get a dealer to order up a small run and we'll do it!" The costs would be reduced with an order that "makes it worthwhile".

I'd love to see a script-only hide-glue, tapered headstock, side supports, light bracing, slight toner J-50 model.

I'd talk to an outfit like Dave's Guitar (Laun Brathwaite) or Fuller's (Mike Fuller) to see if it is even possible.

Fred

Terry

On the topic of Script Logo J-50's...

They certainly do exist. I found a clip of Social Distortion doing a radio show and Mike Ness appears to be playing one (I think its still on youtube somewhere). Also, theres currently a Dylan Tribute act or something and they're lead singer was playing one that I thought I saw once.

As with most things Gibson, there is no standard! They probably had some of the old script logo necks laying around and put them on the J-50's body.

I do love to think though that Dylan's J-50 was actually a re-finned script logo J-45.

On the topic of Script Logo J-50's...

They certainly do exist. I found a clip of Social Distortion doing a radio show and Mike Ness appears to be playing one (I think its still on youtube somewhere). Also, theres currently a Dylan Tribute act or something and they're lead singer was playing one that I thought I saw once.

How do you know those weren't refinished? I'm with you that they may exist but I've found no proof, only "fisherman's tales." I talked to a guy last weekend (guitarjtb on this forum) and he said he used to have one but that it was long gone. He had no pictures.

How do you know those weren't refinished? I'm with you that they may exist but I've found no proof, only "fisherman's tales." I talked to a guy last weekend (guitarjtb on this forum) and he said he used to have one but that it was long gone. He had no pictures.

I have no proof other than my dreams (haha!!). Seriously though, its probably one of my holy-grail guitars.

If you check this clip you'll see the one I was talking about:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHqs3UGOqO4

I believe somewhere around 1:15 or so you get a close up of him playing it. And you're right, it definetly could be refinished. The top actually looks a bit "rough" for lack of a better description.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived