Gibson Brands Forums

L-5 Wes Montgomery

kleinman

I find that the one-pickup version in general has a fuller, more acoustic sound, while the two-pickup ones are a little tighter and more closed in.

While I prefer the sound of the one pickup style, I often gig with a two-pickup guitar for several reasons. It tends to feed back less and projects a little more. I usually turn the bridge pickup volume all the way down and use the toggle as a mute switch, which helps prevent embarrassing noises on stage when I hit the buttons on my jacket against the strings while shuffling charts. Finally, my big band plays some rock charts on which the bridge pickup actually makes a musical contribution.

In the last couple of years I've been finding myself using one pickup guitars more often, especially on the numerous outdoor gigs we've been playing. On those I have less worry about feedback and usually have to put the guitar down to change charts and get them secured to the stand, so I've just been turning the volume knob down. Sometimes, simpler is better.

Danny W.

Archived