Gibson Brands Forums

Where to find L-7 Blonde & Cutaway Acoustic ??

I'm trying to put together a budget. I'd prefer blonde and cutaway, but it definitely has to be acoustic. If it had a surface pickup that'd be ok, I'd probably just have it removed. No preference to year - -'50's through '80's would be fine. Bottom line - - what should I expect to pay ? I've been watching the on-line sites for over a year,and see those '$7995' price tags, and then a year goes by and the same instruments are still listed, with no price reduction.

Is this how it is ? Hope I'm not stuck.

Any suggestions / dealers / help appreciated.

Thx

Dennis

Not sure if this one is still available, but it's fun to look at anyway: http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186513

Thanks Jim - appreciate both responses.

I found that particular L-7 thread interesting. I was glad to see the explanation for the one piece backs I'd also found on some. That had always been my understanding too - that a bookmarked center seam back meant solid wood, and one piece back meant a laminate.

For me, that tailpiece would have had to go, as well as those McCartys....But that having been said, it was priced right, and a decent buy, provided there weren't any other surprises.

I personally may end up having one built. I've watched the GBase & most other dealer sites for over a year, specificallty for blonde L-4 & L-7 cutaways, and none ever show up here in the Midwest. And then I watch those same three L-7's still listed for the same price as they were over a year ago. ( ?? )

So, maybe there's a call to Marc Campellone in my future.....

Thanks again for the help !!!

And then I watch those same three L-7's still listed for the same price as they were over a year ago. ( ?? )

Hey Jim,

How many $8K L-7's have you bought up, I paid $1750 for mine (from the original owner). Albeit it's not a natural, OK so let's add a grand ($2750). OH, AND it's not a cutaway either so add another say $1K (you thinks that's fair, don't you?),BUT..... the $8K L-7's (advertised) are early 50's models, not post-war, not late 50's "Classic" era, so I'm going to have to make a major deduct (you know I like the 50% "penalty"). Would you like to do the math, or would you like me to do it for you?

A Gibson L-7 of any flavor is a $2K - $3K guitar, PERIOD! If you ask more as a seller you're an idiot, if you pay more as a buyer you're a fool!

Hey Jim,

How many $8K L-7's have you bought up,

Zero, Larry, at least in terms of suggesting that somebody should pay that much (maybe you can show me where I ever said that). I simply linked the gentleman to all of the listings on gbase, just so he could see what was being offered by a variety of dealers. I never said any L7 was worth $8K. That doesn't mean that I haven't shown you to be wrong on multiple occasions about a variety of things, including how the vintage market works, and how your concept of values is often unrealistic.

I paid $1750 for mine (from the original owner). Albeit it's not a natural, OK so let's add a grand ($2750). OH, AND it's not a cutaway either so add another say $1K (you thinks that's fair, don't you?),BUT..... the $8K L-7's (advertised) are early 50's models, not post-war, not late 50's "Classic" era, so I'm going to have to make a major deduct (you know I like the 50% "penalty"). Would you like to do the math, or would you like me to do it for you?

?? I have no idea what this "major deduct" is that you're referring to. You're right about the natural finish and cutaway adding value to archtops, and Gibson's late 50's era guitars are indeed often more valuable than their earlier counterparts, but that has more to do with electrics (and paf pickups), and since we're talking about L7's here, I'm not sure what your point is.

A Gibson L-7 of any flavor is a $2K - $3K guitar, PERIOD! If you ask more as a seller you're an idiot, if you pay more as a buyer you're a fool!

At this point in time, I'd say you're in the ballpark, and I'm not even arguing with that (I don't always disagree with you :)). The thing is, I don't determine the values of vintage guitars, and (clearly) neither do you. The market determines values. Of course some dealers over-price things. It's always been that way. They're trying to maximize their profit. At the same time, a lot of people pay a lot more for some things than you deem appropriate, but guess what? That's reality. When it happens to the extent that the market values for various guitars shifts upward, you should learn to accept it, and stop complaining about it. You can't control it.

Anyway, in this case, I think you tried to start an argument here with no real basis for doing so.

By the way, how long have you had your L7? Don't you think its natural and understandable that the value of a 1947 L7 (they ain't making any more of those) should be increasing over time? If the prices of vintage L7's in general goes up, I would think that would make you feel good, since you own one. But you don't ever seem to want anything to increase in value. I think you're going to end up unhappy, because I think it's completely natural for prices to increase over time (and that's what generally happens, aside from some occasional market corrections due to inflated prices for certain instruments, and economic downturns).

I think I'll try that tomorrow. I'll tell the seller that L-5 Larry of the Gibson Forum, says 'this is a $3000. instrument, so that's what you should sell it for, and that's what I should pay."...." And he's an ' Advanced Member', so you know he's right ! "

Bottom line - can I have some of what you're smoking ?

I think I'll try that tomorrow. I'll tell the seller that L-5 Larry of the Gibson Forum, says 'this is a $3000. instrument, so that's what you should sell it for, and that's what I should pay."...." And he's an ' Advanced Member', so you know he's right ! "

Bottom line - can I have some of what you're smoking ?

There are no less than three members here on the forum that own late 40's L-7's. As I stated in my previous post, I paid $1750 (delivered) for my '47 sunburst, in 2005. The "vintage" market was peaking around that time, and has been depressed, like everything else in the US economy, since 2008.

If the other L-7 owners would like to chime in, we can determine a "market value" right here among our members.

Current "Sold" listings on e-bay show the following:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Gibson+L7&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

'44 - $1499 "best offer accepted"

'34/'35 - $3795 "best offer accepted"

'47 - $1451

'45 - $1000

'41 - $1425

'54 "C" - $2999

'51 "C" - $2500

'38 - $1925

'40's - $1725

"Vintage" "C" - $3575

Even using asking prices for the ones listed as "best offer accepted", that averages out to $2189. It looks to me now that my statement of $3K is too high.

And yes, this is exactly how and what I would try to explain to someone who was asking $8K for an L-7.

There are no less than three members here on the forum that own late 40's L-7's. As I stated in my previous post, I paid $1750 (delivered) for my '47 sunburst, in 2005. The "vintage" market was peaking around that time, and has been depressed, like everything else in the US economy, since 2008.

If the other L-7 owners would like to chime in, we can determine a "market value" right here among our members.

Current "Sold" listings on e-bay show the following:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Gibson+L7&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

'44 - $1499 "best offer accepted"

'34/'35 - $3795 "best offer accepted"

'47 - $1451

'45 - $1000

'41 - $1425

'54 "C" - $2999

'51 "C" - $2500

'38 - $1925

'40's - $1725

"Vintage" "C" - $3575

Even using asking prices for the ones listed as "best offer accepted", that averages out to $2189. It looks to me now that my statement of $3K is too high.

And yes, this is exactly how and what I would try to explain to someone who was asking $8K for an L-7.

Ok, thanks for the link.

So, I checked them all and two - maybe three would be playable at delivery, and wouldn't need major repairs. The $3600. and $2900. ones. And another was a mis-labelled L-4.

The others are unplayable / project / complete rebuilds, missing pickguards, broken truss rods, 'repaired cracks by an amateur', amateur re-paint, 'need TLC', etc etc - how many red flags have to go up ? And who cares if you can buy one for $1000. if it'll take another two thousand dollars and six months for a luthier to restore it ??

To average out prices of three playable instruments with seven unplayable project ones is neither realistic nor accurate.

And not a natural finish in the bunch.

First of all, "market" value is determined by the "market" (you know, as in market activity around the world for vintage L-7's- and not just ebay sales, by the way). Secondly, one doesn't have to be an owner of a vintage L-7 in order to form an opinion on their monetary value. Thirdly, if we're determining a current market value, I'm not sure what advantage you would necessarily have in forming an opinion of current market value based on having bought one eight years ago. Your individual transaction in 2005 might have been in line with market value at the time, or not. Either way, that was ONE transaction, and means very little in terms of the big picture.

For what it's worth, I saw this listed recently, and I've forgotten the asking price (it's on hold now, with no price shown), but I'm pretty sure it was a lot more than $3000: http://www.archtop.com/ac_55L7CN.html Granted, it's a cutaway natural finish model with nicely flamed maple (not all L7's are going to fit into one narrow market value range).

I have no idea what this "major deduct" is that you're referring to. (Larry) You're right about the natural finish and cutaway adding value to archtops, and Gibson's late 50's era guitars are indeed often more valuable than their earlier counterparts, but that has more to do with electrics (and paf pickups), and since we're talking about L7's here, I'm not sure what your point is. (Larry)

?

Archived