Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Production Ledgers

johnnyslide

I'd like access to look stuff up. I have many instruments on them and would like to see what/if anything is mentioned like: Dates who ordered it, where it was sent, finishes, special notes, etc. I know I would pay for a copy, and I'm guessing others would too.

I'd like access to look stuff up. I have many instruments on them and would like to see what/if anything is mentioned like: Dates who ordered it, where it was sent, finishes, special notes, etc. I know I would pay for a copy, and I'm guessing others would too.

I'd love access to them too but unless you have contacts, it ain't gonna happen. One of our own wrote a book on wartime Gibson flat-tops and I think he said it took him a year to get to them. He has lots of photo copies but I don't think he is able to publish them. Maybe he will chime in here and enlighten us.

John??

This has been a mysterious topic for a long time. I'm sure there are good reasons for this, but I've never seen them discussed out in the open. Occasionally someone refers to getting access to specific info via networking with friends, and in the past, I think at least a few people have been successful in receiving info directly from Gibson. I've never even tried, but add me to the list of those who wish they could inquire about a guitar or two.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love access to them too but unless you have contacts, it ain't gonna happen. One of our own wrote a book on wartime Gibson flat-tops and I think he said it took him a year to get to them. He has lots of photo copies but I don't think he is able to publish them. Maybe he will chime in here and enlighten us.

John??

Ah, my ears were ringing.

Yes, I've seen the ledgers and photographed the 4,400 pages documenting all shipments from 1936 (the earliest available) through 1946 (the endpoint of my project). In my book, Kalamazoo Gals, I detail my year-long quest to get access and I reproduce the ledger pages documenting the first shipment of each of the Banner flattop models during WWII.

I didn't receive permission to distribute the ledgers. Indeed, I was so grateful to be granted access that I didn't event ask for permission to distribute them. I hopped a plane the next day after receiving the invitation and flew from my home in Connecticut to Nashville, where I spent several long days barricaded in an office and snapping photos as fast as my fingers would let me.

I'll not breach the trust that Gibson placed in me. I do hope that someday Gibson makes the shipping ledgers available to the public.

Why not ask Gibson now about releasing them? I don't see why they would possibly mind. It could be put out as small pamphlet style book with just the data.

Phil

Phil,

A great idea! I'm going to propose it to Gibson, will all proceeds going to a women's history project of WWII museum in honor of the Kalamazoo Gals.

Of course, a 4,400 pamphlet may have difficulty finding a spot in the marketplace.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Archived