Gibson Brands Forums

Polishing a Studio...and...PUP/wiring ?'s

jbear

Question #1: I have this Wine Red 96 Studio (see my previous post for details if you like), and the finish is cloudy with lot's of swirls and scratches.

I usually use Meguiars ScratchX 2.0, for these situations, but honestly I've only had to do it with a few guitars and they were poly finishes. I have no idea if...a) Studio's are nitro or poly and B) Meg2.0 is okay for nitro if the guitars is n-finished.

Good news is...this thing is a killer player! 50's neck and sweet tones.

Question #2: I don't know what's up inside, but it's good. Bright yellow RS Guitarcaps, CTS pots, one PUP has four wires and rubber insulation, the other has two wires and braided insulation. Both are stamped Gibson USA on the baseplate. I don't know if this is stock or modded or what. I'm pretty sure the hardware wasn't chrome but it is now. Also figure the PUP rings and poker chip were changed to cream and an amber tip added as well. I think it's much nicer looking this way.

If you know about what's in this thing...???

I'd be really grateful for any insight into either question.

I'll try to get a picture up tonight.

Thanks folks!

Question #1: I have this Wine Red 96 Studio (see my previous post for details if you like), and the finish is cloudy with lot's of swirls and scratches.

I usually use Meguiars ScratchX 2.0, for these situations, but honestly I've only had to do it with a few guitars and they were poly finishes. I have no idea if...a) Studio's are nitro or poly and B) Meg2.0 is okay for nitro if the guitars is n-finished.

Question #2: I don't know what's up inside, but it's good. Bright yellow RS Guitarcaps, CTS pots, one PUP has four wires and rubber insulation, the other has two wires and braided insulation. Both are stamped Gibson USA on the baseplate. I don't know if this is stock or modded or what. I'm pretty sure the hardware wasn't chrome but it is now. Also figure the PUP rings and poker chip were changed to cream and an amber tip added as well. I think it's much nicer looking this way.

Thanks folks!

Hmmm, I think a few Studios came with the 496T/490R pickup combination. I know the 496T is a 4-conductor pickup, as is the 490R... so perhaps one was swapped for another pickup. Which one has the 4-conductor? Neck or bridge? All Gibson pickups (at least all of the ones that I've dealt with) come with the braided insulated wiring... any chance the rubber-insulated wiring is going from the input jack to the switch? SOP to insulate these with rubber to avoid shorting anything in the control cavity.

As for the caps, probably a standard PIO cap (paper-in-oil). Do they look like this: http://store.rsguitarworks.net/rs-guitarcap-by-jensen-015-paper-and-oil/dp/161

I'm not an expert, just a guy that has hacked up enough of his guitars and made them work again most of the time.

More pictures would be helpful, particularly of the control cavity and the pups, if possible. Cheers,

BryanS

Scratch X 2 contains silicone, so should be avoided.

The Studio is Nitro finish.

Turtle Wax Premium Rubbing & Polishing compounds are similiar and are silicone free, I have used them to add a bit of sheen to a 50s Tribute studio, remove light scratches etc. Zymol Cleaner/Wax is safe 'car product' too, with a very mild abrasive - love it.

Virtuoso Cleaner / Polisher are good products you can count on - well worth the purchase for cleaning up old guitars.

Hmmm, I think a few Studios came with the 496T/490R pickup combination. I know the 496T is a 4-conductor pickup, as is the 490R... so perhaps one was swapped for another pickup. Which one has the 4-conductor? Neck or bridge? All Gibson pickups (at least all of the ones that I've dealt with) come with the braided insulated wiring... any chance the rubber-insulated wiring is going from the input jack to the switch? SOP to insulate these with rubber to avoid shorting anything in the control cavity.

As for the caps, probably a standard PIO cap (paper-in-oil). Do they look like this: http://store.rsguita...-and-oil/dp/161

I'm not an expert, just a guy that has hacked up enough of his guitars and made them work again most of the time.

More pictures would be helpful, particularly of the control cavity and the pups, if possible. Cheers,

BryanS

Hey Bryan,

They look like the yellow one just above the picture of the gold one.

http://www.300guitars.com/articles/guitar-tone-caps/

I think you're right...there's a braided wire going to each vol. pot and the neck wire has some thick black rubber insul. too, The bridge may have rubber over the braid but...can't see it right now and I can't pull the PUP's at the moment.

Thanks for the input!

I started on the lower bout with the 2.0...guess I'll stop that.

Scratch X 2 contains silicone, so should be avoided.

The Studio is Nitro finish.

Turtle Wax Premium Rubbing & Polishing compounds are similiar and are silicone free, I have used them to add a bit of sheen to a 50s Tribute studio, remove light scratches etc. Zymol Cleaner/Wax is safe 'car product' too, with a very mild abrasive - love it.

Virtuoso Cleaner / Polisher are good products you can count on - well worth the purchase for cleaning up old guitars.

As for the caps, probably a standard PIO cap (paper-in-oil). Do they look like this: http://store.rsguita...-and-oil/dp/161

BryanS

Here's a picture

or not...I'm workin' on it.

Thanks folks!

#1. I've used Meg 2.0 and works on nitro for fine scratches and dull areas. You might first clean it with Ronsonol lighter fluid. After using Meg 2.0, you can use some fine polishing also from Meg or others. Finally, wax with carnuba wax.

#2. The capacitors are not stock Gibson. Stock pickups sold with the guitars are two conductor (+1, braid shield). Four conductor in pvc outer jacket are after market PU's from Gibson.

... To get a more accurate inspection:...what year is the guitar? PCB mounted controls? pics?

Archived