Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom information

nctiger

I was hoping someone could help me find information about this guitar. It was my father's and I know he had it when I was small so I am thinking he bought it in the 60's. Anyway, I do not see a serial number on it unless it is hidden somewhere. I you can help thank you. I can provide more info if needed.2013-09-08%2011.58.11.jpg

One photo with the top of the headstock cut out of the picture is a pretty poor effort, but.... from the photo it looks LIKE .... some sort of Barney Kessel model.

As there were many variants of this model, AND many Japanese copies, you're going to have to furnish a whole lot more information if you want any definitive information

A set of detailed photos would be a good place to start.

You say there is no serial number, is there a paper label glued inside the guitar? Look through the f-holes a see what you can find.

Based on what I can see, that appears to be a legitimate Gibson Barney Kessel Custom (the fancier of the two BK models), probably around 1967 or later. The Bigsby vibrato tailpiece may not be original, unless your guitar was custom-ordered with it. There should be a paper label beneath the bass-side f-hole.

After closer inspection under the light there is a serial number on the back of the head. 830577.

That would indicate either 1966 or 1969.

I can send more pics if needed.

The more the better. Cool guitar!

Did not find anything as best I can tell inside.

You should be looking for an oval-shaped, orange paper label, roughly 3" long. If it came loose, it might still be inside the body somewhere.

Archived