Gibson Brands Forums

Odd Harmonic Feedback issue

Hello To all,

Before I go into my guitar issues, I'll give a brief history of my self.

I started playing guitar at 10 years old, by 13 I was playing a local band I guess you would call it. By 25 I was playing in semi pro situations and started to learn guitar luthering. I did my own setups and minor repairs for years and also all my buddies and band mates. At 40 for reasons I won't go into I stopped playing and sold all my gear. Many guitars and vintage amps went down the road. Ok so that brings us to one month ago, I decided to start playing again to pass the time and for enjoyment. I purchased and brand new 2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Gibsons quality has really come a long way, the guitar is outstanding in the fit and finish department. The finish is even buffed properly around the fret board to body area where was an issue with Gibson for years. Anyway here's my issue.

Gibson

2013 Les Paul Traditional

non-wieght releaved (they just started this in 2013)

Nashville Bridge

Some kind of immitation bone nut

Standard Stop Tailpiece

57 Classic Pickup Neck

57 Classic Plus Bridge

Strings 10-46

When playing the guitar either aucoustically or plugged into an amp, if you fret the 10th thru 12th fret on only the high E string, it creates a odd harmonic, now if you release the note and don't mute the strings, it causes (in Most Cases) the B, G, D, and A strings to vibrate in the same harmonic and feedback slightly. As if you never released the note, in the first place. Very Odd, heres what I have done to try and correct the issues with No effect what so ever.

1. Changed Strings twice, went from the Gibson stockers to my preference Diaddario XL

2. Look at the neck adjustment with the eye and a straight edge, the neck is near to perfect as you can get, had three other tech verify it's good.

3. Used a fret hieght gauge to check for unevel/unlevel frets, all frets are good.

4. Reset the intonation to standard and then using an alternative method. No change

5. Adjusted the nut and bridge saddle slots, to insure no binding. Opened them a thousand or two

6. Adjusted the action up until it wasn't playable. No change

7. Tail stop is adjust so strings break over saddles and do not hit bridge.

OK, so now where am I at, the only thing left that could possibly be the culpret is the bridge, for the life of me, I have check it, torn it apart and reassembled, reverse it, and still the same problem exits. The one Gibson Service center I took it too said it was natural sustain and is a one in a million and it's that one that everyone hopes to find, I just laughed and didn't allow him to do anything to the guitar, that guy scares me.

Thanks for listening, hope some one can help me out, I would really hate to ship it back to Gibson or where I bought it from..

Thanks

Tony

Does this occur every time, no matter who plays it? I am not an electric guitar guy - sold my LP Standard a few years ago to fund a J45. My initial knee jerk thought is simply pick angle. Matter of fact when I used to crank out Neil Young thru a half stack, this is precisely the effect I often went for.

Archived