Gibson Brands Forums

byrdland static noise

arbucc91

I have been playing a new Gibson Byrdland through a Fender Twin Amp recently but after playing for a couple of minutes, if I move at all, it crackles - the noise is like a static discharge crackle. I have checked all connections and everything in that department is definately all right. I have tried a number of my other Gibson using the same set up and it never happens. If I stand perfectly still its all right and after it happens its allright for about another 15 seconds then it happens again. I have been playing professionally for 40 years and I have never come across this before. If anyone has any ideas what is causing this and how to correct this I would be very grateful.

These types of things can be exasperating, we will assume you have checked all reasonable explanations, leads, volume, tone controls grounding wire., etc., and it only happens with the byrdland using all the same components, same room environment etc., fluorescent lightning, carpeting in the playing area are all the same, correct. moving slightly leads me to believe that maybe the jack input/grounding is suspect.

Another issue, if it is just occurring now in the winter, when the air is dry and static electricity is prevalent, could go back to an environmental thing. I have a telecaster and a stratocaster, realizing these are single coils, that emit the static electric, annoying issue. When ever my fingers/nails brushed the pick guard i would hear the crackling. the remedy for those guitars was simply wiping the pick guard with a dryer sheet, (used in clothes dryers).

that is about all i have to offer at this time, but if you are absolutely sure (as you can be) of all of the electrical components, then try the dryer sheet.

hopefully someone with electrical expertise will comment.

if not then probably an actual technician, is the warranty over on electrical components, i think that may be only a year.

good luck

Archived