Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Bridge

sgt tee

Just curious why are the thumb wheels on the Gibson's but you buy a epiphone there are screws on the top for adjustment, much easier. Can a USA Gibson have these screws so I can put them on my bridge instead of those thumb wheels. Very hard to adjust, have to slacken the strings to move them. I do have a spanner wrench I bought from Steward Mac. I am afraid I will mark up the thumb wheel.

When wanting to adjust bridge or tailpiece, I always tune all the strings completely down to avoid marring the metal surfaces, no matter if adjusting an Epiphone or a Gibson. I also don't use the slots on Epiphones but remove the bridge, adjust the screws by hand and mount the bridge again. The Epiphone locking mechanism is not very service friendly in my opinion.

The threads on Gibson guitars are different from those on Epiphones (guess why...), and I never would cut slots into the Gibson (or locked TonePros) Nashville TOM studs.

I understand. I bought a new J.B Les Paul Goldtop, looks like the nut needs to be cut so I will send it to my Luthier, I don't mess with that type of work and its highly recommended that if you are not good with messing with guitars its best to have someone else work on the guitar. I am going to try and do that this Saturday. I will report back once its done, At the moment my Epi pro plays better then the Goldtop but its account it needs a set-up, Thanks for the advice. I was slackening the strings but felt it was taking too long, but then I thought this is not something you can rush. How's the weather by you?

I understand. I bought a new J.B Les Paul Goldtop, looks like the nut needs to be cut so I will send it to my Luthier, I don't mess with that type of work and its highly recommended that if you are not good with messing with guitars its best to have someone else work on the guitar. I am going to try and do that this Saturday. I will report back once its done, At the moment my Epi pro plays better then the Goldtop but its account it needs a set-up, Thanks for the advice. I was slackening the strings but felt it was taking too long, but then I thought this is not something you can rush. How's the weather by you?

Once you get the thumbwheel adjusted, you probably won't have to touch it for years, maybe never. Just loosen the strings to adjust and you won't mark it. I think Gibson recommends not removing all the strings at once when changing them. That is one way to keep the thumbwheels from having to be adjusted again as everything stays together.

Archived