Gibson Brands Forums

Richlite Finger Board

sgt tee

I am old school and like Rosewood, Ebony or maple, I searched out this word and it is man made from paper and what not. If any of you guys have this type of finger board, do you have any problems, likes or dis-likes. I am having problems with the new Gibsons and having these Richlite finger boards. Any comments about this, I heard crazy stories that Gibson had their wood confiscated so they went to Richlite

There are lots of threads about it - I recommend you to search subforums for it, especially Gibson Lounge, Les Paul and SG subforums. Gibson's wood stocks were down after a flood and two raids.

As of me, my SG Supra has a Richlite fretboard, it feels and plays great, and the guitar provides a great sound, too.

Richlite is a cellulose-phenolic resin compound similar to Bakelite. The cellulose gives it a silky feeling. Due to density and stiffness, the tonal qualities seem to be close to those of ebony. For further informations, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richlite and the links provided there.

I am old school and like Rosewood, Ebony or maple, I searched out this word and it is man made from paper and what not. If any of you guys have this type of finger board, do you have any problems, likes or dis-likes. I am having problems with the new Gibsons and having these Richlite finger boards. Any comments about this, I heard crazy stories that Gibson had their wood confiscated so they went to Richlite

I think the raid on Gibson had an effect as they also went to baked maple and grenadillo fretboards during that time. They just announced that they will be making some Les Paul Customs with what they are calling the last of the one-piece ebony boards. My guess is that there is a lot of competition for hardwood on the open market and supplies are getting increasingly tight. This will continue to drive up prices and limit amounts available. In turn, companies like Gibson will continue to use alternatives in order to control prices for most models.

Archived