Gibson Brands Forums

A little safari

E-minor7

. . . . . . . . Shells.jpg">

Found myself in a guitar-shop in a small city of another country yesterday. Acoustics on the second floor, how exciting to walk up stairs to see what was there.

Started with a couple of low-end Fenders. Significant looks, but nothing to report about soundwise.

Then moved via a local brand to an Epiphone Dove. Heeey, , , very good – a lot of guitar for the dow.

Made me sing the B-part of While My Guitar Gently Weeps right out in the room. Then police arrived, , , , only joking – a guy from the staff showed up and began to chat.

Some minutes after he had placed a 12-fret 512e Taylor* in my hands. Extraordinary fine instrument with a dreamy voice from that little box.

Could be eminent as a lyrical player – when I get old. . . .

Finally I asked for the J-35. Of course had to compare it to the 2 others I've tried a month back. This one was different. More gentle – not so much in volume, but in tone.

More velvet-lounge than country-fence, if I may say so.

Definitely a nice guitar, but perhaps not what the common J-35 hunter is after – if there is such a prototype.

I'm sure the buyer of this one will be happy.

But there we go again – it's like shells. Line 10 up in a row and sense all those nuances in that same family.

When you know what species to go for you've found yourself - when you know which one to pick your have recognized your soul.

*Yeah, they had a lot of T's

Archived