Gibson Brands Forums

Trent Reznor's ES335 Studio Memphis

hi13ts

I've been a fan of Nine Inch Nails for a long time now and have noticed their affinity for Gibson guitars with Reznor and the boys usually sporting Les Pauls as their main axe (a testament to the design of the Les Paul, by the way; originally meant for nothing but jazz, but is now branched to just about every musical genre imaginable). Just saw them at KC and some of their videos and saw Reznor sporting what looks like an ES-335 Memphis Studio (you know, the real ugly new ones) but modified with two pickups with chrome covers. Scroll down about halfway on this website: http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/10/05/trent-reznor-brought-a-reinvented-stage-show-to-toronto-as-nine-inch-nails-touched-down-at-the-acc-photos/ there are clear photos of him and the guitar.

I wanted to share this in hopes that Gibson may pay attention and redesign that studio to make it a real studio. The LP studio is basically a Standard Les Paul, both in build and aesthetic, but the ES335 Memphis Studio looks like a horrible bastardization of an iconic guitar. I love the trapeze on the ES335 and can deal with the Dirty Fingers as an alternative choice, but everything else just screams out lazy. Would it be THAT much more to stick a neck pickup on and have the traditional 2 vol/2 tone wiring while retaining all the other price-saving features? That would be a nice juxtaposition of tradition and price-saving modern. I hope Gibson does consider redoing the 335 Studio as I would be one of the first in line to get one if they do it right. A real ES is a little pricy, as well a Les Paul Standard. The Studio came in to offer like 98% of the features on Standard but make it affordable to the average joe. Let's see the ES-335 get the same treatment.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a fan of Nine Inch Nails for a long time now and have noticed their affinity for Gibson guitars with Reznor and the boys usually sporting Les Pauls as their main axe (a testament to the design of the Les Paul, by the way; originally meant for nothing but jazz, but is now branched to just about every musical genre imaginable). Just saw them at KC and some of their videos and saw Reznor sporting what looks like an ES-335 Memphis Studio (you know, the real ugly new ones) but modified with two pickups with chrome covers. Scroll down about halfway on this website: http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/10/05/trent-reznor-brought-a-reinvented-stage-show-to-toronto-as-nine-inch-nails-touched-down-at-the-acc-photos/ there are clear photos of him and the guitar.

I wanted to share this in hopes that Gibson may pay attention and redesign that studio to make it a real studio. The LP studio is basically a Standard Les Paul, both in build and aesthetic, but the ES335 Memphis Studio looks like a horrible bastardization of an iconic guitar. I love the trapeze on the ES335 and can deal with the Dirty Fingers as an alternative choice, but everything else just screams out lazy. Would it be THAT much more to stick a neck pickup on and have the traditional 2 vol/2 tone wiring while retaining all the other price-saving features? That would be a nice juxtaposition of tradition and price-saving modern. I hope Gibson does consider redoing the 335 Studio as I would be one of the first in line to get one if they do it right. A real ES is a little pricy, as well a Les Paul Standard. The Studio came in to offer like 98% of the features on Standard but make it affordable to the average joe. Let's see the ES-335 get the same treatment.

+1 DEAD ON. Agree 100%. Seems to me like they half assed it as well. They missed the mark here by one pickup and a couple of knobs. This isn't a studio, it's an ES335 Junior at best.

• 1 month later...

+1 DEAD ON. Agree 100%. Seems to me like they half assed it as well. They missed the mark here by one pickup and a couple of knobs. This isn't a studio, it's an ES335 Junior at best.

Here's mine...sweet and tricked out.

Routed for neck pickup....57 classics installed.

Bigsby with roller bridge installed

Super cheap and sexy. Love the no f hole look.

post-61435-069256500 1385524510_thumb.jpg

Archived