Gibson Brands Forums

A 1948 Gibson J-45, has no FON, fretboard wear filled

gotomsdos

Hi, folks out there.

I ran into a 1948 Gibson J-45, but two questions:

1, has no FON,

(with rectangle bridge, block logo, and triple-binding.)

Was this Gibson officially authorised product ?

To my poor knowledge, some of 1945-1946 may have no FON. But 1948 neither ?

Besides, it's said that some Gibson workers also made their own guitars in free time (when off work), but these were not given FON. Is there the possibility with the J-45 ?

2. some filled fretboard wear on the upper frets (fret 1 through fret 3).

Usually what stuff is used to fill them ?

Do they influence playing ?

Are they acceptable to you (if reasonable price) ?

Thank you in advance ...

As far as I know Gibson did not permit employees to make their own guitars. I have seen company handbooks that specifically state this.

Everything sounds correct for a 1948 J-45. It should also have the muslin or silk side supports.

The guitar actually has an FON. Even as late as 1948, I would think it not highly unusual to run across one without the number stamped on the neck block.

Regarding fingerboard divots, it is an easy fix and if done right does not affect playability. I would not expect any kind of a reduction in price if the repair is well done.

As far as I know Gibson did not permit employees to make their own guitars. I have seen company handbooks that specifically state this.

Everything sounds correct for a 1948 J-45. It should also have the muslin or silk side supports.

The guitar actually has an FON. Even as late as 1948, I would think it not highly unusual to run across one without the number stamped on the neck block.

Regarding fingerboard divots, it is an easy fix and if done right does not affect playability. I would not expect any kind of a reduction in price if the repair is well done.

Thank you zom.

I'm waiting for a sound clip...wonder how it sounds..

Archived