Gibson Brands Forums

1961 epiphone zeyphr

fast Eddie

Just wondering if any one knows what a 1961 thinbody epi zeyphr is worth in great condition. Its the pic in my avitar. Bikini headstock,pat pickups

The fairly similar two pickup Sorrento frequently goes for around $2000. The Zephyr should be valued a step higher, imho. VG Price Guide says $2000 to $2500 in excellent condition.

Picked this up from my uncle. Since I play mostly acoustic it works well for me. Has nice wide neck, and the body size and action fits my playing nicely. Sound is nice and fat. I see why their highly reguarded.

I think you could get 5-6000usd for a 61 zephyr in good condition. There's a listing on gbase for a blonde 61 zephyr with the bikini headstock that sold for $5,995!

So You think that the blonde (natural finish with new yorker pickups) is comparable to sunburst with pat pickups?.Maybe these old epis in very condition are just hard to come by.

The blonde on gbase that sold for 5995usd has mini buckers like yours, not the single coil variety New York pickups:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/epiphone-zephyr-1961-natural-1#

NY single coils on the E312T/TN would be 1959-60, I think all 61s had mini PAFs.

It's could be the John Lee Hooker association that pushes the value on the blonde perhaps, but I don't think so. Yours should have comparable value as the gbase one

New York pickups would definitely increase the value though

Regardless, it's a fantastic guitar and extremely rare, congrats :)

Archived