Gibson Brands Forums

Custom 58' 2paf

Bonze59

Hi, a good friend (we've known & played together for the last 33 yrs), bought this LP custom in 72', it was used, it has two PAF's. Everything seems to be original, from the case to the tuners. About 5-6 years ago, while he was having a custom built guitar by a regional artisan/guitarmaker, he showed the Les Paul to them and they said it could be a 58'... Does anyone here know about those 58' 2paf ? If Gibson shipped just over 250 Customs in 58' how many two pick-ups were made ? What kind of serial number pattern are we talking about ? What was the top made off ? help...? anyone...?

Thanks,

Pierre.

Spend $50 and get a good appraisal from George Gruhn' date=' don't rely on free advice on forums.[/quote']

Sorry, didn't mean to bother you with all my questions. For the moment, all I want is some infos on the 2 pick-ups Les Paul Custom from the year 1958. I'm not looking for free advice... just trying to gather a bit more information on the subject.

Thanks,

Pierre

I didn't mean to make it sound like that. All I mean is that you are potentially sitting on a guitar worth tens of thousands of dollars, God knows HOW much, and because of that it's worth, you need to be careful who's advice you listen to.

I can't find any info confirming there were any 2 pickup Customs with humbuckers. According to my information (which could be wrong of course) all '57-'61 LP Customs were 3 pickup. Yours may have been converted to humbuckers or it could be from '68 on.

If you have serial numbers or photos we could probably help.

Alright, KSdaddy. I'm just very surprised that nobody knows about these 57'-58' Customs ! I thought that " Gibson Forums+Gibson Intruments+Vintage Gibsons" meant that I could find more infos on the subject. Anyway, here's what I found somewhere else :

From an article by Mike Slubowski :

The first version of the Les Paul Custom lasted until mid 1957, when the second version of model was converted to three humbucking patent-applied-for (PAF) pickups. The middle position on the pickup selector switch is for the bridge and middle pickups, which are wired out of phase. There were a few two pickup PAF models made, but there are no records available as to how many two pickups versions were produced. A March, 1958 price list puts the Custom at $375, at the same time that the Les Paul Model was $247.50. The humbucker-equipped Les Paul Custom was available until 1960 according to shipping records, although there are a few examples with early 1961 serial numbers. Gold plated Grover tuners were introduced in late 1958.

And this description from Lark Street Music :

Custom 57’ 2paf 01

Lark Street Music Year: 1957 ManufacturerName Gibson ModelName Les Paul Custom Case: Original Hard Color: Black Condition: Very Good Price: $27,500.00 Description: The rare 2 pickup model, 2 PAFs re-installed, neck reshaped to a V shape and refinished except for original looking serial number left on, original pots, newer old caps, nice refret w/ small frets, no breaks, had Grovers now has repro correct tuners, repaired crack between 2 of the pots, original case

So..., maybe someone else knows about these rare Customs ? Remember, I'm not looking for free advices; just informations...

Thanks,

Pierre.

Archived