Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V headstocks, long and short

Gibson Les Dawson

Some may call me mad, but I infinitely prefer the 'short' 1970s Flying V headstock to the longer one and I really want a V with the short headstock!

To be honest I don't really want to shell out for the Rudolph Schenker or Kirk Hammett V just for the headstock shape, and an original 70s V is even further out of my financial reach.

I'm thinking of perhaps cutting down the headstock on my stock 2000 '67 V and refinishing it... but is it just a case of trimming the length and rounding the end, or are the angles of the two sides actually different on the 'long' and 'short' headstocks.

Any thoughts please, V experts?

(By the way, as this is my first post, please don't think I'm some sort of scammer who might try and do this to sell my 2000 V impersonating as a 70s one. Rest assured I have absolutely no intention of being that dishonest! Indeed I have no intention of selling my lovely cherry red V at all - I just want a V with a short headstock that I can afford!)

I agree with you, I like the more rounded 70's V headstocks more too. As for trimming down the more pointy V headstock, personally I wouldn't. I think a mod like that will hurt the resale value on your guitar should you decide to sell it down the road. It's your guitar, so you can do what you'd like though. Watch that you don't take off some of the serial number on the back of your headstock. My Flying V has the serial number going right up the middle of the headstock. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived