Gibson Brands Forums

Amp for Masterbilt DR-500MCE

benzowner

Picking up my new Masterbilt DR-500MCE VS on Sunday. Been waiting for 2 mths for it. Want to get an amp for it to make use of the stereo outputs. Don't need anything over 50 Watts. Have been looking at Marshall AS50D and Roland AC-40 as candidates Want to keep in the $400 range or less. Also own a Vox 20 Watt amp I use with my Epi Sheraton. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Benzowner

Picking up my new Masterbilt DR-500MCE VS on Sunday. Been waiting for 2 mths for it. Want to get an amp for it to make use of the stereo outputs. Don't need anything over 50 Watts. Have been looking at Marshall AS50D and Roland AC-40 as candidates Want to keep in the $400 range or less. Also own a Vox 20 Watt amp I use with my Epi Sheraton. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Benzowner

Hope you like your new DR500MCE V/S ..I have one also. I use a Marshall AS50R..not sure of the difference between the two amps, but my amp is 10 years old....but Marshall has two picks up plugs....one for the guitar and one for the vocals. The DR500MCE has two pickup inputs on the bottom of it, and it can use both simultaneously together for fuller acoustic sound. One is for the under saddle pick up, and one is for the built in magnetic pick up attached to the bottom of the fret board....I use only one pick up at a time, usually under saddle, because I use the other amp input for a vocal hook up. I guess if there were no vocals used, both guitar inputs could be plugged into the marshall. ...I guess my point here is that if you want to use BOTH guitar pick ups, which everyone says sounds truly great together.....then you might need an amp which has at least 3 pick up inputs if you wish to use both guitar pick ups, AND sing as well. Let us know how it goes. I love my Masterbilt DR500MCE both plugged and unplugged. It's warm rich sound falls in a class of its own and it truly is an awesome instrument to both hear and play. It's a darn good looker too, particularly in the vintage sunburst like you got!

For what it's worth, I have the AJ500ME - no cutaway.

I just play the mono version "out" that does still allow blending of the two pups. No problem, nice sound. I'm sure there are other options, but I haven't figured I needed to use them.

Using the mono also allows plugging in direct to board that has worked well for me with the guitar too.

m

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Fender Super Champ XD with mine and it works great.

Amazing how much of a " Heavy" rock sound you can get from an acoustic guitar!

Also use an Marshall MG15 mini stack, not the Micro, this has 2 cabs and a seperate head,

and a little Epiphone mini Tweed amp, 20 years old, out on the front porch.

Archived