Gibson Brands Forums

help identifying a 70's SG

Barnett17

i was helping a client clean out her home last week and came across this SG

she wanted to sell it in "tag" sale, but I thought there might be value and told her I would research it.

Ive been looking around for a while and learned alot about guitars, just cant nail this one down

Im going to try using correct wording, but forgive me if im wrong.

from the serial # and the made in usa stamped in the headstock, it was manufactured in the early 70's (70,71,72).

Looks like pearl inlay that says gibson

the machine heads have gibson and deluxe on each.

truss rod cover is black with no writing

White inlay dots on fretboard. marking on sides of neck are red/pink

pickups are black with screws that are lined towards one side

the tremelo says gibson

the pick guard is black (1 ply?)

the tuners are witch hats with no plate

color is Cherrywood

The guitar has a black hard case in the same shape, that says gibson on the outside and a red interior

If anyone can help identify the guitar and approximate value, id be most grateful

Thx in advance for your time and expertise!

post-60222-057374500 1382994282_thumb.jpg

post-60222-085958300 1382994303_thumb.jpg

post-60222-002399200 1382994312_thumb.jpg

I think that you are on the right track...early 70's. It probably has a volute at the neck/headstock junction. My guess is an SG200 or SG II although those tended to have slide switches instead of a toggle. It could be sort of rare, but not of any 'golden era' as far as Gibson go.

It looks to be in fine condition. The value could be $800-$1200 possibly.

Keep researching and maybe you can narrow it down to the specific model.

Some larger pictures would be of help to me.

Thx so much for getting back to me, and quickly. It does appear to be in great shape. Hope these bigger images help you/me.

Thx very much once again!

Those pickups are unusual, about the size of mini-humbuckers but I've never seen black covers like that.

Just did some research and it looks like a 1973 SG Special, right down to the pickup shape, size and color and the harmonica bridge. The vibrato bar was probably an extra. The SG II looks similar but had the controls mounted on a plate that was attached to the top of the guitar. The SG Special had the controls done in the more conventional way, the plate was on the back. I've posted a link to a picture of a catalog from 1973, not sure what the value is.

SG Special

Just did some research and it looks like a 1973 SG Special, right down to the pickup shape, size and color and the harmonica bridge. The vibrato bar was probably an extra. The SG II looks similar but had the controls mounted on a plate that was attached to the top of the guitar. The SG Special had the controls done in the more conventional way, the plate was on the back. I've posted a link to a picture of a catalog from 1973, not sure what the value is.

SG Special

Yes, that's a 1973 SG Special which replaced the similar SG Pro from '72 (with the semi-circle control plate). The Special did have an optional Bigsby in '73 (and a color choice of cherry or walnut). In 1974 The Special again changed now with block fret board markers. As far as I know 1973 was the only year with "dots" and black mini humbuckers. The model continued until about 1976 but as I said, with block markers and black mini humbuckers. They aren't extraordinarily valuable- ~$900-$1200.

Archived