Gibson Brands Forums

My J-55

Bob Nason

This guitar was dropped off at my father-in-laws pawnshop sometime in the 70's and has been in its case until two years ago and is in very good condition.

It has a lighter (maple?)top and dark (rosewood?)back and sides. Dark wood, I think rosewood, fret board with black wood (ebony?) head stock. The pick guard and edge banding are tortoise shell. It has x bracing and an orange oval label. The label does not have "union made" on it. The style is listed as J-55 after Gibson it lists Guitar and the number is A-733829 all in black ink except for the A- that is in red ink. This number is also stamped on the back of the head stock just above the two lines MADE IN / USA stamp. This is a flat top with an arched back. The only apparent alteration was the addition of a pick-up located 3" to one side of the strap peg. The truss rod panel on the head stock is plain black plastic with two Phillips head scews.

Pictures will help.

From the documentation I have -

The original J-55 was discontinued late 1942 and those are very collectible and valued at $14k-$18k.

The serial number with an A plus 6 digits dates it to 1973-1975 years.

Those years are normally not very collectible for flat tops unless you find someone who's into that era.

Re-introduced 1973 with different specs and built until 1982.

Your model has laminated back and sides and has square shoulders

Vintage guitar has them valued at $950 to $1200

Everything depends on condition of guitar and the market.

Archived