Gibson Brands Forums

Es 330 Original PAFS

Dcmusic21

From the serial number it is a 62' 330td is what i am thinking it is but it has been difficult to find anyone that has ever seen one like it. I had the pick ups pulled just to check and make sure the body hadn't been altered. Sure enough as original as they come and discovered it had stickered PAFS in it.

330's never came with hb's, so this would either be a one-off/custom order, or a modified guitar.

If you can't upload here directly from your computer, you might try uploading to a photo-sharing site, and then linking the pics here.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab152/dcmusic2142/IMG_1134_zps96b8f5f0.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab152/dcmusic2142/IMG_1135_zpsecb16d2a.jpg

Let me know what other pictures yall would like to see. I was going to attempt to remove pickups so that i can take pictures of them. A little iffy on doing it beings there value.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s859.photobucket.com/user/dcmusic2142/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

here ya go bud! I finally got up enough nerve to pull them so i could show yall exactly what i am talking about!

Short answer....NO! And curious, I did not know that 330's ever came with PAF humbuckers! PICTURES.....or it didn't happen!

Really nice looking guitar. No evidence of dog-eared P90's ever being on there, and the finish appears to be original. Looks to me like a custom order, since it has a serial number (if it had been done by a Gibson employee for their own use, it might not have had a number).

There are some very serious ES-330/335/345/355 enthusiasts over at the Les Paul forums, and I would suggest starting a thread there also: http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Appreciate the info. Yea I was a little skeptical on paying what I did which wasn't over priced just top dollar for a es-330 then I took it to get it set up because it had a little buzz on the 3rd fret on e and b string. He got curious and called me to see if I minded him opening it up and checking things out. Then he called about 30 minutes later and told me the news. So I'm guessing I really got a good deal on the guitar. Which the guy I bought it from didn't know much about it either it was passed down from his grandfather. That's who's tx dl number it on the back of the head stock. Thanks again I'm gonna check out the les Paul site.

The value of custom ordered guitars is kind of subjective. Some people (like me) see them as more valuable than a standard/stock version of the model in question, and some see them as oddballs and worth less. Either way, you're unlikely to find another one like this, or any recorded sales to compare to.

Yes, paf's are valuable by themselves to collectors. You should probably have a vintage expert take a look at them, because stickers alone don't prove that they're the real thing.

I would look at completed ebay sales for 330's from the early 60's, in order to give you a base value to work from. I don't know exactly what paf's have been selling for, but they're going to add significant value to your guitar if they're real (and I suspect they are).

Another thing you can do is request an appraisal by mail from someone like George Gruhn (in Nashville).

That is what i have been learning i'm going to say the guitar is only worth what someone will pay. Alot of people are afraid of feed back with the pafs in a hollow body guitar. I play through a fender twin and have never had any problems. George Gruhn did give a appraisal on the guitar for previous owner. Which all he had to go by was pictures of the guitar. I may end up sending him some more pictures of the pick ups and see what his appraisal would be. I have had a local expert look at them not specifically a vintage expert but he's been around for quite some time. He says with out a doubt they are the real deal. The lespaul forum you referenced has my email blocked for some odd reason. Wouldn't know why. But i guess it is what it is. Thanks for the advice

The value of custom ordered guitars is kind of subjective. Some people (like me) see them as more valuable than a standard/stock version of the model in question, and some see them as oddballs and worth less. Either way, you're unlikely to find another one like this, or any recorded sales to compare to.

Yes, paf's are valuable by themselves to collectors. You should probably have a vintage expert take a look at them, because stickers alone don't prove that they're the real thing.

I would look at completed ebay sales for 330's from the early 60's, in order to give you a base value to work from. I don't know exactly what paf's have been selling for, but they're going to add significant value to your guitar if they're real (and I suspect they are).

Another thing you can do is request an appraisal by mail from someone like George Gruhn (in Nashville).

Archived