Gibson Brands Forums

LG-2 with an Adi Top-Anyone??

mking

With my "new" 47' LG2, I'm having trouble finding a seam on the adi top. Does anyone know if they were doing solid piece tops back in 47'? Thanks.

It looks like a nicely book-matched 2-piece top to me. Count the grain lines toward the center from each of the two darker grain clusters that run perpendicular from the bottom of the bridge.

Congratulations on this nice acquisition!

Of course, to maintain membership "in good status", you may be required to share that guitar with the group, a month at a time.

I'll PM you my "pickup at Fedex" details..... [biggrin]

Fred

With the kind of great insight I'm getting from this thread, I probably should! (From the expertise on wood types, alone, I feel like I'm on an arborist blog instead on a guitar site.) Very helpful!

It looks like a nicely book-matched 2-piece top to me. Count the grain lines toward the center from each of the two darker grain clusters that run perpendicular from the bottom of the bridge.

You're probably right. While I can see the difference from the photo too (both above/below the bridge it appears lighter in color), in person and with my finger running over it, there is no seam (to the touch). Thanks!

At the time, I wanted an LG with an Adirondack top that I could afford, but there weren't any. So I grabbed up a little experimental Eastman ET5-SS and now that a couple of years have gone by I find the LG body size with an Adi top to be just about the best all around guitar I own. The headroom of Adi allows for some heavy handedness if I need it but it still handles a lighter touch just fine. And the size is so comfortable. I especially like plugging it in via a single coil soundhole pickup through a little tube amp. I haven't touched my Telecaster since I got it. I'm guessing that this LG-2 with an Adirondack top will be one monster instrument. It's so pretty though it almost seems a shame to really have a go at it with a flatpick.

Love the size of these too. I'm a little guy, so the LG is perfect for me. Very comfortable. This one does have a big/deep tone. Great point on using a flatpick too. This one will be for finger-picking so there should be no scratch-risk here!

Archived