Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 345 - Wiring

Marcell

Hi guys! I always looked here for valuable information about epiphone guitars since before I bought my 345.

Well, the guitar is nice. I replaced the pickups with 57s and the sound got nice also. But even after replacing the pickups, I always missed something about the sound, more "bite" maybe. The fact is I haven't replaced anything beside the stock pickup.

My brother bought a Les Paul Studio and I was blow away because the guitar have the highs and clarity I missed on my epiphone.

After some search on the internet found this:

http://www.award-session.com/pdfs/Epiphone%20WildKat%20Tone%20Mods.pdf

In few words the guy says that the wire epiphone uses cheap wire that have high capacitance, and since the Wildcat have tons of it the highs are sucked away. Since the 345 have a lot of wire too I started thinking about replacing it.

I just did a test comparing the sound that come from the jack, with the sound coming straight from the pickup (took out the hole circuit), and this is the result (chenges at 1:30):

http://www.bandabr61.com.br/audio/testwire.mp3

Anyone had any experience with this? After the test I'm really wanting to try and replace it, but since it a reeeal mess inside I really want to make sure it's gonna worth it :)

Thanks!!

I hear a difference, and that's some nice picking. You've got some real nice phrasing in there.

Yes, Epiphone electronics can leave a bit to be desired sometimes. I did a complete electronics upgrade on an Elitist Broadway I had a few years ago. Not a 345, but similar in the approach to changing everything out through the F-Holes. Here's a DIY thread I did on it. Maybe it will give you some ideas of how to approach your guitar.

Elitist Broadway Electronics Upgrade

Good luck on your endeavors.

If you want to measure capacitance yourself there are some cheap LCR meters that can do the job.

Probably the minimum capacitance you could expect from a decent, short guitar cable is around 250pF so if you can get the guitar circuitry (without pickups) down anywhere under 100pF that should be enough.

The 800pF mentioned in the article could easily be obtained with a long guitar cable.

Bad solder work can add a big chunk of tone-sucking capacitance - note the joint can still pass a continuity test.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

About the playing I was just messin' around trying to listen to the guitar, nice compliment about the Albert and BB crossing :) .

I just bought the wiring from award session and will get some switchcraft parts and some new alphas (don't wanna drill the wood). I'll try to mount it outside the guitar and just "replace" and the part that connect to the varitone.

I'll keep you guys updated since it could be a very important upgrade and is often neglected.

• 1 month later...

Well Guys, I did it! Changed all the wiring with the wire sold at the award session site. Really hard at first to figure the best way of doing it with the varitone and stereo circuit (kinda complicated). I changed the caps for orange drops in the way too.

Another guitar now!! Really made it come alive! The highs are a little less than the record (as expected since at the recording there was no circuit) but sound amazing!

Now I don't know if it's worth at guitars with less wiring inside, but if possible UPGRADE :) .

Archived