Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer E2 CMT

Asbestos

Hi all. I just bought a 1981 Explorer E2 CMT and have a couple of questions. What kind of wood is the body made of? I'd like to replace the bridge pickup, it currently has a Super Distortion in it. I have a Dimarzio Evo in a mahogany body guitar that I love, but wasn't sure how it might sound in the Explorer. I like the original Dirty Fingers in the neck, do the newer ones sound as good? Also the finish has been sanded off the back of the neck. I'd like to re-stain and clear coat it, or should I just leave well enough alone? One more thing, the top strap pin is currently in the "horn" of the guitar, but there is also a screw hole right behind the neck joint and another above that. Whats the correct location for it?

Hi all. I just bought a 1981 Explorer E2 CMT and have a couple of questions. What kind of wood is the body made of? I'd like to replace the bridge pickup, it currently has a Super Distortion in it. I have a Dimarzio Evo in a mahogany body guitar that I love, but wasn't sure how it might sound in the Explorer. I like the original Dirty Fingers in the neck, do the newer ones sound as good? Also the finish has been sanded off the back of the neck. I'd like to re-stain and clear coat it, or should I just leave well enough alone? One more thing, the top strap pin is currently in the "horn" of the guitar, but there is also a screw hole right behind the neck joint and another above that. Whats the correct location for it?

Behind the neck is where the strap button should be.

Archived