Gibson Brands Forums

Is this real epiphone special?

lespu

Good day...

I'm about to buy an Epiphone Special model that has a LP 100 body. But when i searched for the specs in the net i saw that the guitar is not in epiphone product page.

The guitar looks like a LP 100 but in the head says Special Model. My friend bought it from Guitar Center USA in 2010.

here are the pics:

Whole

epi%20whole.jpg

Head

epi%20head.jpg

Serial

epi%20serial.jpg

What do you think? Thanks...

Your images arent showing, but my guess is that the original neck probably broke and someone replaced it with a Les Paul Special neck. Technically, there is no difference between the construction of the necks and are easily swappable. There are some minor differences, like the tuners and script, but other than that they are pretty modular between all of the bolt-neck Les Pauls.

Your images arent showing, but my guess is that the original neck probably broke and someone replaced it with a Les Paul Special neck. Technically, there is no difference between the construction of the necks and are easily swappable. There are some minor differences, like the tuners and script, but other than that they are pretty modular between all of the bolt-neck Les Pauls.

thank you very much... don't know how to fix the photo but i'll try to post again... here:

epi%20whole.jpg

epi%20head.jpg

epi%20serial.jpg

Well, the colors seem to match pretty perfectly. Thats not an impossible task, but would take some effort to find a match. There was no model of Special with a carved top, so I can only assume that the neck has been changed. Both models were available in the Cherry Sunburst colors.

Check you're serial number and if there is a make sticker on the neck describing where it was made make sure they match.also i would take off the neck to see if its shimmed properly and see how the bolts line up.if it looks like someone drilled more holes or if there is non factory helic coils down there then you probably have a swapped neck.if everything seems wrong you might have a counterfeit but i doubt it.are those original pickups?

Archived