Gibson Brands Forums

RD Custom jack issues.

Moving this from the wrong forum. I'm having an issue with an RD custom. I had the input jack replaced a few years ago, and stored the guitar. Now that I'm playing it again it is acting up. They installed a stereo output jack. Not sure if it's original. I researched the part number- 70959- but cannot find a picture. I have trouble getting the cord to seat in correctly, and I'm getting a TON of radio interference. Per a previous suggestion, I pulled the jack out to make sure it is seating. I can get the cable to seat at the very end, but it's touchy. I'm wondering if installing the stereo jack is the issue. I would like to order the correct part and have it installed.

Hey Brutus, assuming that the jack was no problem before storing the guitar, my guess would be that it got corroded OR has developed cold solder joints.. Some contact cleaner could help. On the other hand, I see no reason for a stereo jack. It would be bulkier and make it physically want to 'jam-up' or touch other components in the control cavity. I would physically inspect the wiring for cold solder joints also. Is there only 2 wires attached to the jack? If so, a Switchcraft mono jack is all that is needed.(and soldering skills)

http://www.stewmac.c...utput_Jack.html

Rod

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Not sure about the stereo jack. There are three wires, but two go to the same connection. Clearly one of the problems is that I need to play the guitar more. I love it, but when I found out the value was going up on them I started storing it. (Keep in mind I bought it in 91 from a pawn shop for $150. The battery was dead and the guy thought the wiring was shot.)

Archived