Gibson Brands Forums

A question on VOS

Stubert

Hi I am relatively new here but having built a small collection of mostly vintage Gibsons I have "lurked" here for a few years.

I recently bought a 2007 R9 that had been owned from new, the owner says he bought it from a London dealer early 2009.

The guitar shows several areas of wear and ageing but the seller insisted that this is how it came from the factory,or indeed when he bought it. My question is, can all of this ageing particularly the tarnishing on the pick up covers, the crazing on the head stock and indeed the gouge on the rear be down to an ageing process done by Gibson or has the seller been a little brutal with it.

DSC02792_zps3f05f142.jpg

DSC02794_zps0b30b066.jpg

DSC02796_zps0e32ac11.jpg

The crazing on the head stock and indeed the gouge on the rear are not normally what I have seen for a new gloss or VOS model. The tarnishing on the pick up covers, bridge and tail do look like several VOS guitars that I previously owned from new, but not as tarnished as those covers. The mark on the treble edge of the headstock, close to the corner on the top left in the photo would not have passed the final inspection. I have seen polishing marks that deep on some guitars over the years but not an edge rubbed off in that manner. All of those issues can be easily corrected by a good luthier. None of that looks like it would have been done at the factory unless it was an "in-house or a Murphy aged" guitar and then the tuners would have some aging done to them and the price would have been much higher. Those marks on the head and back may have been there when the previous owner bought it, but I do not think they were there when it left the factory.

Just my opinion.

DSC02794_zps0b30b066.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

The tarnishing is normal for VOS. Everything else is not normal unless it was specifically aged. If it's a Murphy aged guitar it's value is around double and it will be clear from the COA.

Guest Farnsbarns

I think you'll find that's an optical effect of the grain or a spot where the grain transition meant that the dye didn't take quite as much. Both necessary evils of using natural materials.

Archived