Gibson Brands Forums

Advanced Jumbo Guitars

Larry Harris

Greetings,

I seem to be seeing a lot more of the advanced jumbo shaped guitars these days. I finally got to try a J 45 at my local music store as they had a used guitar for sale. It really played well and sounded great but my AJ220S-VS has a great sound for the money and no way the same as a J 45 but a somewhat similar body shape. It seems this is the way guitars seem to be going.

I have noticed that Epiphone does not have as many acoustics in their line as they one did. Anyone else notice the same thing?

Cheers, Larry Harris

Larry...

Yeah, you and others noticed.

But... the EL00 Pro is something worth looking at as a small box. I have a hunch we may see more. But note too that Gibson is doing what it did in the '30s, and coming out with some nice lower-cost instruments - and 'stedda $700 for a high-end Epi plus $100 for a case, a $1,500 Gibson with a case can look better and better.

m

Greetings,

I seem to be seeing a lot more of the advanced jumbo shaped guitars these days. I finally got to try a J 45 at my local music store as they had a used guitar for sale. It really played well and sounded great but my AJ220S-VS has a great sound for the money and no way the same as a J 45 but a somewhat similar body shape. It seems this is the way guitars seem to be going.

Cheers, Larry Harris

If you think the AJ220 sounds different from the J45 wait until you try a Gibson Advanced Jumbo, it's a completely different animal than the J45. [thumbup]

Archived