Gibson Brands Forums

Relief on my 355

Kylef

I was getting readings of 65% on my hygrometer in my guitar room, so I stuck a dehumidifier in over the winter to get a steady 50%.

Now I have noticed that I have an extra bit of relief on the neck, and the truss rod isn't sorting it as it is tight as it is. It's about 1.5mm in difference between the 12th fret and 21st.

It may be a coincidence, but I think it must be something to do with the dehumidifier and drying it out a tad, even though it's it a big jump. Is there a way I can sort this without drastic action? I've had it sitting in a room of 60% for a few days but it's not adjusted itself any.

I was getting readings of 65% on my hygrometer in my guitar room, so I stuck a dehumidifier in over the winter to get a steady 50%.

Now I have noticed that I have an extra bit of relief on the neck, and the truss rod isn't sorting it as it is tight as it is. It's about 1.5mm in difference between the 12th fret and 21st.

It may be a coincidence, but I think it must be something to do with the dehumidifier and drying it out a tad, even though it's it a big jump. Is there a way I can sort this without drastic action? I've had it sitting in a room of 60% for a few days but it's not adjusted itself any.

Maybe loosen the string for a couple days.

I think we're getting a little confused by how you're describing the relief: if you hold down the string at the first and 21st fret, how big is the gap between the string and the top of the 10th fret? If it's 1.5mm that's a huge amount of relief.

I didn't measure it by doing hat, but. Have just done that and it's not as much as 1.5mm. Measuring from holding the 1st and 21st fret here is stilla. Bit relief, it is sitting about 0.75-1mm above the fret at the 12th fret.

How can I rectify this so I have more play with the truss rod? Does it sound like something that the dehumidifier could have caused?

As long as you measure it from around the body join - 19th fret on a 335 - you'll be fine. One or two frets either side won't throw things far out of whack. OP, on my 355 the relief is tiny, about enough to be able to slide piece of 80gsm paper between the sting and fret so around the 0.25mm mark. Close to a mm is quite a lot of relief. If you can't adjust this out with the truss rod then a trip to a luthier is in order. I believe there is a fit where you add a washer behind the truss rod nut, but I've never had to try this myself and, since the truss rod if working correctly should be able to give you the relief you need, it would be good to rule out any other issues.

Just a 'random' comment... <_<

The important issue, as always, is playability...

Some musicians prefer a 'looser' relief...often on archtops and acoustics...

To personal taste this allows a wider string vibration for stronger picking styles...

String height can be lowered from the bridge...

Humidity can be an issue in extreme climes...seasonal relief, if you will... <_<

Most people live with their ambient conditions

Some may go to the extreme of controlled, isolated rooms regarding temp/humidity etc...

V

:-({|=

Archived