Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Basically Fell Off New Guitar !

Hotfoot

This is a June 2013 China (non-identifiable factory) Epiphone Les Paul Junior I bought new from Guitar Center three or four months ago. It has been in my home sitting in a guitar stand, never taken out. As I was tuning it (Always Open D, DR 11 Strings) I noticed my string clearance was excessive, and closer look showed neck was separating from the body, with the two screws closest the headstock pulled up 1/4" or so/ The two behind them were holding the neck on, but loosely.

Upon removing the neck, this is what I found. Clearly three attempts had been made to screw this together, and the neck itself has given up like a piece of particle board! very ragged.

11b57ih.jpg

The screw holes in the body were actually drilled crooked! This pictures shows a the angles of the holes. The screws are firmly threaded in these holes, no wiggle or slop...note the cockeyed alignments.

2ivl8hx.jpg

I bought this as a new guitar, not a refurbished, not on sale, etc. I did not buy the GC extended coverage, but will show them this soon and get a reaction (they are 1 1/2 hours away, in Austin).

Its a cheap enough guitar to just do glue and toothpicks...I've even ordered a set of inserts and screws...but the more I read on them, the more reluctant I am to try the installation.

This neck has no pocket to speak of other than what's right under the fretboard.

At first I thought the screws were bent, but no, the holes were drilled crooked! I called Guitar Center today with the SN and they checked to make sure I had not been sold a return...and I had not.

I've even wondered about gluing this neck in, using the screws to set the fit and angle, then leaving them in...'would appear as untouched, and removal would not be worth the effort.

Hotfoot,

I'd say you are on the right path. Showing it to the dealer as a first step....but....

I would also contact Gibson Customer Service at the same time to see what they have to say.

If nothing else they may have a contact for Epiphone Customer Service (if there is one....I've never had to use it.)

...I've even ordered a set of inserts and screws...but the more I read on them, the more reluctant I am to try the installation.

If all else fails it may come to that.

In case you are interested:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/73175-making-a-neck-a-bolt-on-instead-of-a-screw-on/

(Note: Animalfarm is no longer with us so do not respond to that particular post.)

Keep us informed,

Willy

Archived