Gibson Brands Forums

Issues with tuning Machines

wardmk1976

My tuning machines, started running slower, I reset the unit and the machine for string five started working intermittently, and sometimes not at all. I called Gibson and have a RMA, I was wondering is any of you had a similar experience, and what you may have done to troubleshoot?

I had the same problem with my low E string. Try the following procedure. Chris from Tronical sent it to me. It seemed to work for me.

Your problem is caused most likely by a non sufficient contact of the Powerhead.

Try the following:

Tighten the hex nut of the Powerhead of the low E-string 1/8 turn.

If it doesn't help, turn it 1/8 turn again.

If it still doesn't work, unscrew the Powerhead by loosening the hex nut.

Make sure that the contacts are clean. Is there a brass sleeve inserted in the hole of the headstock?

If so, remove it.

Screw the Powerhead in again.

Say, you don't suppose the battery needs to be charged up for your tuners to work better do you? I think I read somewhere that the tuners would start slowing down or not functioning properly as the battery gets low. I think you have to have over a 50% charger, maybe even higher...

Say' date=' you don't suppose the battery needs to be charged up for your tuners to work better do you? I think I read somewhere that the tuners would start slowing down or not functioning properly as the battery gets low. I think you have to have over a 50% charger, maybe even higher... [/color']

RS, actually I think you're right. I made a previous comment in a thread that when I was using string down mode that it didn't work for me and shortly thereafter, the MCK went dark. I recharged the battery and all was fine.

I think when the battery is at a certain low charge that the software probably shuts down power to the tuners in an effort to maintain the "brains" on the CPU.

I am daring to hope that wardmk1976 DID indeed charge his DF correctly! and that it was something else.

I would hate for that guitar to be banged up in shipping back & forth for a simple issue as a battery not charged well enough.

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same problem with my low E string. Try the following procedure. Chris from Tronical sent it to me. It seemed to work for me.

Your problem is caused most likely by a non sufficient contact of the Powerhead.

Try the following:

Tighten the hex nut of the Powerhead of the low E-string 1/8 turn.

If it doesn't help' date=' turn it 1/8 turn again.

If it still doesn't work, unscrew the Powerhead by loosening the hex nut.

Make sure that the contacts are clean. Is there a brass sleeve inserted in the hole of the headstock?

If so, remove it.

Screw the Powerhead in again.[/quote']

Spotrod, thanks for this sharing. After a re-stringing I was having indecisiveness problem in my D string. Tried your fix and it worked. I actually took the tuning head out just to see. Its so easy, it drops out. Cleaned the contacts and put it back again. It now works like a charm. Tightening the nut 1/8 at a time is a good idea to ensure better contact but should be attempted with extereme care so as not to cause a slipped thread problem on the tuning head.

Cheers,

KS

Archived