Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Set-Up Question

iwalktheline

hey guys, Sorry to ask this question here as it does not pertain to a Gibson acoustic but, some of you guys have given me great advice over the years and I just wanted some info/advice again.

I recently acquired an epiphone Les Paul standard (a real beauty) and took it for a set up. I got her back the other day and to my ears she just doesn't sound in tune on the g and d strings. I had told the tech that prior to me bringing it in the g string was going out of tune quite a bit. He told me he had checked and found that it was a loose tuner. He told me all should be well now. I played her awhile the day I got her back and really didn't notice anything but last night especially when I would go to play a d & e chord it just didn't sound right. So I would check the tuning and everything was in tune but whenever I would play mainly those chords it would sound way off. I trust the the tech, he has done work on my Gibson acoustics and my martin as well, and has done great work. Can you guys maybe think of anything simple that it could be? I'm at a loss here and can't figure it out. Any suggestions would be great or advice would be great.

how hard do you depress the strings? i came to the realization a few years ago that I was fretting too hard in some positions and pushing my Les Paul out of tune. I put 11s on it, and would still push it out. Friend of mine who is an excellent electric guy never had an issue with it, but I did. So I sold it and got a J-45TV.

how hard do you depress the strings? i came to the realization a few years ago that I was fretting too hard in some positions and pushing my Les Paul out of tune. I put 11s on it, and would still push it out. Friend of mine who is an excellent electric guy never had an issue with it, but I did. So I sold it and got a J-45TV.

pretty hard I think, at least in my opinion. For the past 5-7 years I have been mainly an acoustic player and never had this issue. Hmm.....maybe, maybe .....

Archived