Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Pickguard

ourtang89

Was wandering if anyone may have a spare pickguard for a Les Paul laying around they are not gonna use any. Finally got a Epi Les Paul Specisl II Ltd. in vintage sunburst and want to put a pickguard on it. If anyone does and wants to donate to the cause I will really appreciate it. Let me know, THANKS in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally got a Epi Les Paul Specisl II Ltd. in vintage sunburst........

Congrats on the new guitar!!!

Ourtang89,

I don't have an extra or I would be happy to send it to you. I was just wondering if you were aware of the possible modifications that may be needed.

If the Special II LTD. has the same setup as the regular Special II, you may be in for some modding.

Are you aware that due to knob position, a standard LP pickguard will not work unless modified?

Everyone seems to have their own way of doing it.

Some drill through for the volume knob shaft. Some scallop back around the volume knob.

Both of these methods usually require mounting the pickguard directly to the surface of the guitar.

The method I used was to re-shape the guard to make it shorter. Here is one I did for my grandson:

LPSpecial.jpg

Just wanted to make sure you knew what you may have to do.

Hope others can help,

Willy

Edit: I don't know how good they are but, I have seen LP pickguards on Ebay for as little as $7 with free shipping.

Congrats on the new guitar!!!

Ourtang89,

I don't have an extra or I would be happy to send it to you. I was just wondering if you were aware of the possible modifications that may be needed.

If the Special II LTD. has the same setup as the regular Special II, you may be in for some modding.

Are you aware that due to knob position, a standard LP pickguard will not work unless modified?

Everyone seems to have their own way of doing it.

Some drill through for the volume knob shaft. Some scallop back around the volume knob.

Both of these methods usually require mounting the pickguard directly to the surface of the guitar.

The method I used was to re-shape the guard to make it shorter. Here is one I did for my grandson:

LPSpecial.jpg

Just wanted to make sure you knew what you may have to do.

Hope others can help,

Willy

Edit: I don't know how good they are but, I have seen LP pickguards on Ebay for as little as $7 with free shipping.

Yea, I was aware of the mod for the pick guard but Thanks because I never thought of doing it the way you did. I like your way because to me it looks alot better, like it belongs there compared to the other way. Great forum with very nice people!!!!!!!!!!

Ourtang89,

It wasn't too difficult.

I traced the pickguard onto a piece of construction paper. I used the construction paper tracing to form the template.

I actually used the pickguard itself to trace the curve modification at the bottom. When I was satisfied with the template, I used a scratch-awl to

scribe the template onto the back of the pickguard. After that....

I used a Dremel to rough cut the end to "close".

Finished the shaping with a file.

Finalized it with some sand paper.

Good luck and I hope someone has an extra pickguard.

Willy

Archived