Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Aging Speeds

Hype

I have a one year old Collings D2H and I hung it up in my humidified spare room across from a window so the light would age the top.

When I bought the guitar the top was so light it was almost white.....and I did not like the colour of it.

My too pale Firebird Custom was by the window for a tan most of last summer - a little, but far from enough happened.

It's out again now and I expect it to turn darker litebrown/yellow during the next 3 or 4 months.

Would be very nice and suit the reddish toned quilted maple back'n'sided guitar better than it knows ;-)

I thnk the simplest explanation for the difference in the look is that the sinking of the finish into the grain of the wood simply shows up a lot more on a dark background.

Regardless, the sunburst will always sound better because it is more confident in its Gibbiness. A Natural top will always be conflicted and unsure of its true identity.

P

Natural finishes have their place on some makes and models, but I do agree that J-45 and several other Gibson models should be sunburnt to truly be themselves.

I totally accept and celebrate the 2 faces of acoustic Gibsons, and unstoppable enjoy the double nature of both old Hummingbirds, Doves, J-200's and J-45/50's.

Not forgetting the Southern Jumbo/Country Western, slope as squares. Add to this the many many bursts we keep seeing all the time.

In my childhood there was a toy-car-brand that made the coolest small'n'strong gasoline-vehicles and they came with different paints for the different gas companies.

5 common models there were, but all in all around 10 (I have later discovered). Being nothing but kids we had to choose one and only one - and I chose the burning red Esso.

A certain dilemma it represented, but what a fine education in 'feeling who you' are it was.

Now a days this fascination with a rich varied fan of possibilities is reflected in the guitars for me.

Yes, , , in other objects also, but the echo of the enciting gasolin-trucks is clearest in those similar Gibsons with all them colors. . .

Archived