Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Hummingbird

Hi,

I've recently purchased an Epiphone hummingbird but a couple of little things have worried me about it's authenticity a little. The first is that it's an acoustic only with no pickups and controls. I knew this before I collected just assuming epiphone made them with and without aiming at different price bands.

Second of all is that the serial number starts GG. When I've looked it comes up on a check I've done to say it was made in 2005 and gives me it's production number but no factory. Then looking more Epiphone say they've not used the GG codes, however I've seen other people say theirs have this. Some people have suggested this may be a 'masterbilt' series of guitar but if I'm honest I know little about what this relates to.

If anyone could help put my mind at ease I'd really appreciate it, it plays really nice and does look genuine but the couple of little things just have me wondering.

Many thanks!

Hi,

I've recently purchased an Epiphone hummingbird but a couple of little things have worried me about it's authenticity a little. The first is that it's an acoustic only with no pickups and controls. I knew this before I collected just assuming epiphone made them with and without aiming at different price bands.

Second of all is that the serial number starts GG. When I've looked it comes up on a check I've done to say it was made in 2005 and gives me it's production number but no factory. Then looking more Epiphone say they've not used the GG codes, however I've seen other people say theirs have this. Some people have suggested this may be a 'masterbilt' series of guitar but if I'm honest I know little about what this relates to.

If anyone could help put my mind at ease I'd really appreciate it, it plays really nice and does look genuine but the couple of little things just have me wondering.

Many thanks!

Hi. Thanks for writing! Not to worry your Hummingbird seems to be real from the information you supplied. First, the 2005 model Epiphone Hummingbird did NOT come with a pick up. My 2008 model did not have one either, that is normal, pick ups came a few years later when Epiphone decided to include them in the NEWER Hummingbirds. Secondly you might want to add your serial number into the link included below to see if it recognizes and deciphers your Epiphone. If it does you are in the clear. Let us know how it works out for you. here is a guitar serial number dater link...just enter your serial number and click submit in the form... http://www.guitardat...g/epiphone.aspx

Thank you for your reply, really appreciated! I've put my info into the guitar data project and it came up with the following:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at a factory not yet added to the database

October 2005

Production Number: 0375

So it looks like I should be in the clear! whoo! I've still no idea of country of manufacture but I'm assuming it would be China.

Just as a side question, what did the non pickup versions sell for at retail and what would the expected 2nd hand value be today, just so I know for my own reference.

Kind regards,

Thank you for your reply, really appreciated! I've put my info into the guitar data project and it came up with the following:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at a factory not yet added to the database

October 2005

Production Number: 0375

So it looks like I should be in the clear! whoo! I've still no idea of country of manufacture but I'm assuming it would be China.

Just as a side question, what did the non pickup versions sell for at retail and what would the expected 2nd hand value be today, just so I know for my own reference.

Kind regards,

Yes if your got the response you did, then your Hummingbird is authentic. The non pick up versions cost the same as the the new pick versions..the pick ups were added by Epiphone because so many other manufacturers were adding them. When new your 2005..and my 2008 should have cost about $299....I paid $199 for mine used, and it was in excellent condition, almost mint. The new 2014 Epi Hummingbirds cost $299 and now the pick up has been included with it. I personally like mine better without the pick up. Sometimes an under saddle pick up can hinder tone, and If I need a pick up I'll just have GC put one on it. Good luck and enjoy your new Hummingbird..I replaced my pins with ebony abalone pins and replaced my strings with (Elixir nanoweb 80/20 bronze light guage 12-53 strings) ..The new strings made quite a difference in tone and sound and clarity! Enjoy! ...GL

GuitarLight you are a star! Thanks very much, made me much happier about my purchase now. I picked mine up for £130 (based in the UK) and brand new the hummingbirds are priced at around £230-£250 over here so I'm comfortable I got a good deal. Thanks for the advice on the pins and strings too!I't currently got some D'Addario 12's on at the moment so I'll give some others a whirl next time around.

Once again, many thanks!

The guitar dater may not be perfect..(nothing is) ...But it has correctly identified all 5 of my Epiphone guitars, as well as my Gibson Hummingbird... to the letter. All of which have been bought from reliable retailers.......3 Epiphone Masterbilts... AJ-500R...AJ-500M and DR-500MCE.....plus 1 Epi Hummingbird...and an Epi AJ-220SCE. and my Gibson Hummingbird ...All correctly dated including age and country of origin using the guitar dater. Again it may not be perfect, but it does not seem sensible to become an alarmist and assume the worst, that a guitar is a fraud, just because the guitar dater has produced data on it. But there are critics lurking behind every tree. Believe what you wish. Castnoshaddow's Epi Hummingbird is in all likelihood, "Authentic."

Archived