Gibson Brands Forums

Quailty of Guitars

1BADVETTE

I'm half surprised one of the customer service guys hasn't glommed onto this one.

The past number of years I've seen more than a few folks join the forum, complain about an individual guitar and service, a whole batch of folks piles on, and... it fades away.

I guess it'd take a lot to get me to badmouth a company on the basis of a bad experience with one guitar...

I've had exceptional "luck" with Epis and I refuse to buy a guitar over $500 or so without playing it - with the type of strings and setup I expect to play. I did have a horridly mis-setup Epi AE guitar from Sweetwater that has an excellent reputation for checking guitars out of the box before sending them to a customer. It had problems with the neck that I didn't think adjustment would solve, sent it back and they sent another even before receiving my return.

So... the company I purchased from took care of me. I blame neither the Gibson company nor Sweetwater for the problem. Frankly I think it's a combination of major climate difference and a lot more moisture in the guitar when Sweetwater checked it than when I received it - which is something I also noticed several times at the guitar store I get to a couple times a year - some guitars off the truck end up with strings on frets due to our living in a quite dry and relatively high environment.

Both Sweetwater and the "local" (if far from me) store have good policies to keep customers happy. I am, at least. In fact, I've even done well with Musicians Friend on some purchases. I doubt that would be the case if Gibson didn't support those policies so the retailer doesn't lose...

.... m

A lot of people have had good success ordering from Sweetwater and Musicians Friend and I'm sure that they stand behind what they sell, but for me, I would rather go over to my local GC. I can have a look at what I like - play it etc., and if there is any marks on the finish I can at least have them order the model for me. When it arrives at the store, I can inspect it and try it out, and if all is OK, then its out the door. I guess you could classify me as a fussy shopper, and as my wife would contest, a very fussy shopper. The finish and play-ability of the instrument must be superlative or its no deal, keeping in mind, of course, that the guitar will need a set up. I have never mail ordered an instrument before, but I have camera equipment, and my success ratio is not 100% by any means. I find it rather annoying having to ship things back due to product damage or issues with features that are not working. For musical instruments, it's "brick and mortar" for me. msp_biggrin.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people have had good success ordering from Sweetwater and Musicians Friend and I'm sure that they stand behind what they sell, but for me, I would rather go over to my local GC. I can have a look at what I like - play it etc., and if there is any marks on the finish I can at least have them order the model for me. When it arrives at the store, I can inspect it and try it out, and if all is OK, then its out the door. I guess you could classify me as a fussy shopper, and as my wife would contest, a very fussy shopper. The finish and play-ability of the instrument must be superlative or its no deal, keeping in mind, of course, that the guitar will need a set up. I have never mail ordered an instrument before, but I have camera equipment, and my success ratio is not 100% by any means. I find it rather annoying having to ship things back due to product damage or issues with features that are not working. For musical instruments, it's "brick and mortar" for me. msp_biggrin.gif

I'm the same way. I like going to the GC and trying out a guitar I like. If I like it I will order it new in the box. I won't buy a floor model because I know it will have plenty of marks, nicks, and dings. I have never ordered anything from Sweetwater or Musicians Friend. Not to say that I wouldn't. I have ordered from Carvin. I got my guitar and let it sit on the stand for a day to adjust to my Georgia climate. The next day I checked everything and it played great. California to Georgia is a big change in climate conditions and I didn't want to start adjusting a guitar that just arrived so I let it sit. I like to let things settle in first and then make adjustments. I have purchased two Gibsons. A Blue Studio LP and a Gibson LP Standard Premium. I sold the Studio LP due to fret buzz and returned the LP Standard due to fret buzz. I won't be giving Gibson another try. The old saying is (Three strikes and you're out.) Well, its two with me.

For what it's worth, my stand on buying guitars is that under about $500 I'll try Sweetwater or MF. Over that, it's worth the long drive to a store although even at the same "price tag" the trip could come close to doubling the price of the instrument. OTOH, the place a bit over an hour away will add "my" strings if I know they have what I want and that I'm driving there in a cupla days.

Even the place that's a bit over an hour away adds around 8 percent plus travel to the "internet price." For a higher-end guitar, figure around 1,000 mile round trip, fuel, restaurants and at least a night in a motel, not to mention sales tax. Aint' ready for that at this point in life.

m

Archived