Gibson Brands Forums

ALEX LIFESON ES355 GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP SIGNATURE MODEL

NE22

Hi Ladies and Gentleman, I am looking for your help to value my Alex Lifeson, ES355 , Gibson custom shop signature model 2008. It comes with case, proof of authenticity, model number etc. It is in exceptional conditon. I have looked on the web, but I cannot find anything to compare it with as there are only300 worldwide. I hope you can help. I have tried to upload some pics of the guitar but for whatever reason it won't let me. Many thanks, Davey , UK.

I found two on eBay. One had a starting bid of $4,200 and the other was selling for $5,800 or best offer.

NO, the above statement is completely incorrect!

One has an "starting price" of $4200 on ZERO "bids". The other has an "asking price" of $5800 (or best offer), and ZERO offers. There are no bids, offers or sales on these instruments at these prices.

It's really difficult to value these limited run models. On the one hand, they're very scarce and if you have one and someone desperately wants it you can pretty much name your price , on the other the makers generally decide on their run based on how many they think they can sell, so with a relatively recent guitar you generally find most people who wanted one got one new or couldn't afford the price it cost new - so finding the guy that desperately wants it and is willing to pay over the original price is a tall order. Occasionally you get an example like the Dave Grohl DG-335 that bucks the trend, perhaps because the company underestimated how many to make, but in general manufacturers do limited runs to sell guitars, not to fuel a second hand collector's market.

I come from a retail background, and if we were offered something like this to buy or in part exchange and there wasn't clear evidence to demonstrate the guitar having increased in value due to rarity and desirability we'd price it by working downwards from the original street price. If there were people fishing for high prices on Ebay maybe we'd risk going closer to the street price than we would an easily available guitar, but it would stay below that ceiling unless there were proper examples of the guitar having changed hand for bigger money.

If you're insuring it, the Ebay prices shown above are probably where you want to be - after all, if your guitar was stolen that's what it would cost if you wanted to replace it immediately. If you don't need to sell it but it's not getting played and you'd be happy to let it go if you could make a profit, by all means list it with a buy it now / best offer in the region of the guitars already available.

One good way to find out an idea as to demand and value if you seriously considering selling and don't mind spending a few pounds would be to list it on Ebay with a low start and a high reserve. That way you can see how many bidders get involved and what they would have paid without having to sell at a lower price than you would have accepted.

Archived