Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 Dot Studio custom build to ES335 Dot (extra Volume and Tone knobs)

Eyes Hockey

Hi there. I've just joined the Gibson forums and am pretty new to guitars in general. I have an Art & Lutherie Almond Dreadnought accoustic which I love learning to play on. I just measured the action for the first time, and was pretty much spot on. I tightened the truss rod by about 1/8th of a turn. Everything else looked great.

Anyway, to the point...

I really like the Gibson ES335 Dot, but like many cannot afford a $3,000 guitar at the moment.

So, I'm looking at some options. My focus recently has been on buying an Epiphone Dot and upgrading the pickups to Gibons 57 Classics (no plus in the bridge, both the same) and also new pots and wiring. I can do the work myself (I think:)). That would be $400 for the guitar and $450 in parts if using all brand new stuff which I like the piece of mind in knowing it's all new. I was going to order the premium kit from Mojotone which they can prewire for me for about $120.

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded a Gibson ES335 Dot Studio to a Gibson ES335 Dot by adding additional volume and tone knobs. I see the Gibson Memphis ES335 Dot Studio selling for $1,400 brand new, and I can get parts for about $50 to do that mod. So, for about $600 more than the Epiphone project, I could have a real Gibson.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

Buy an Epiphone. Don't change the pickups. They are fine. Especially if you are new to guitar. After a while you will know if you really like the 335 shape and sound, and then you can consider buying a Gibson. Don't listen to all the cork sniffers. Better spend your time on practice.

Those new Studio's look like the business... that's what I'd be doing.

Has anyone ever drilled new holes for additional Volume and Tone knobs? I don't think I'll be doing that, but wondering if that has been done.

The Gibson ES-335 Dot Studio only has one volumne knob and one tone knob to control both pickups.

Buy an Epiphone. Don't change the pickups. They are fine. Especially if you are new to guitar. After a while you will know if you really like the 335 shape and sound, and then you can consider buying a Gibson. Don't listen to all the cork sniffers. Better spend your time on practice.

I've pretty much made up my mind.

I'll be getting an Epiphone ES-335 Pro.

It has these extra features as compared with the Epiphone Dot:

1. coil tapping

2. Epiphone's Alnico Classic PRO pickups

3. binding on the fret board

4. block inlays instead of dots

I think those are the differences and they are both selling for the same price.

I went and played the Epiphone Dot and also a Gibson ES-335 Dot (and a Gibnson Les Paul Special for comparison - didn't like the LP). I actually liked the paint finish on the Epiphone more (Cherry). The Gibson was gold and just didn't look good to me with the grain of the wood like it wasn't sanded enough or something. The Gibson did have a slightly warmer tone, but I'd have to re-check all my tone settings and play them both more to say it was a difference in the guitars...maybe it was me not setting the tone and volume knobs at the same levels.

The action on all of them was so low compared to my accoustic...which I knew, but I don't know how those strings were not buzzing!!! I did expect them to be easier to play due to the low action, but it really wasn't that much easier.

I thought I wanted the sunburst, but that cherry was awesome looking...so much better (brighter red) in person.

Tough decison now...Cherry or Sunburst...Epiphone ES-335 Pro

I've pretty much made up my mind.

I'll be getting an Epiphone ES-335 Pro.

It has these extra features as compared with the Epiphone Dot:

1. coil tapping

2. Epiphone's Alnico Classic PRO pickups

3. binding on the fret board

4. block inlays instead of dots

I think those are the differences and they are both selling for the same price.

I went and played the Epiphone Dot and also a Gibson ES-335 Dot (and a Gibnson Les Paul Special for comparison - didn't like the LP). I actually liked the paint finish on the Epiphone more (Cherry). The Gibson was gold and just didn't look good to me with the grain of the wood like it wasn't sanded enough or something. The Gibson did have a slightly warmer tone, but I'd have to re-check all my tone settings and play them both more to say it was a difference in the guitars...maybe it was me not setting the tone and volume knobs at the same levels.

The action on all of them was so low compared to my accoustic...which I knew, but I don't know how those strings were not buzzing!!! I did expect them to be easier to play due to the low action, but it really wasn't that much easier.

I thought I wanted the sunburst, but that cherry was awesome looking...so much better (brighter red) in person.

Tough decison now...Cherry or Sunburst...Epiphone ES-335 Pro

I got an Epiphone ES 335 pro in cherry my self. (I wanted the binding on the neck. I know it is just a painted stripe, but is matters [biggrin] ). It is great. Maybe I go Gibson one day. The ES 335 guitar is my favourite. I think I like the Gibson neck a little better than the Epiphone, which is a great excuse to get the Gibson. But all necks are a little different, so it could just be coincidence. At the moment I am gassing for the Gibson Dot or the Gibson ES 355.

Archived