Gibson Brands Forums

tune-o-matic low E-string saddle backward?

citizenken

I've been following the posts on tuning and intonation issues as I'm experiencing the 'ping' problem while tuning (high E, B & G strings). While checking that out I realized I had never checked intonation, so I start with the low E string and it is way off. After 10 minutes I'm not getting anywhere and I notice that the string saddle is completely reversed from the others (see pictures). The ES is my only guitar with a tune-o-matic bridge, so I had nothing close to compare it to. I did zoom in on some pictures this morning and now I'm thinking that it is normal. I'm sure someone can confirm yes or no on that. And I suspect my issue is probably the D'Addario EXL strings (which are a little different then standard 10s).

Thanks,

KL

post-54760-032450300 1404070354_thumb.jpg

post-54760-099448600 1404070415_thumb.jpg

I've been following the posts on tuning and intonation issues as I'm experiencing the 'ping' problem while tuning (high E, B & G strings). While checking that out I realized I had never checked intonation, so I start with the low E string and it is way off. After 10 minutes I'm not getting anywhere and I notice that the string saddle is completely reversed from the others (see pictures). The ES is my only guitar with a tune-o-matic bridge, so I had nothing close to compare it to. I did zoom in on some pictures this morning and now I'm thinking that it is normal. I'm sure someone can confirm yes or no on that. And I suspect my issue is probably the D'Addario EXL strings (which are a little different then standard 10s).

Thanks,

KL

That's the way it is supposed to be. If it was reversed you can see that the saddle would be up against the bridge and not allow for adjustment of intonation.

Where the string makes contact with saddle would be the same spot if saddle was reversed.

There often will be the need for increasing the compensation range, in particular of G3rd or E6th, sometimes of B2nd or A5th. This is usually done by reversing bridge saddles. The G3rd is affected on all of my Tune-O-Matic guitars, followed by E6th and B2nd.

My strings are Optima Chrome Medium 011 - 050 with a plain G3rd in all cases. I don't think that D'Addario EXLs are very different on principal. The differences in adjustment depend way more on model and individual guitar than on strings to my experience. Among my guitars, the D4th may be the second-shortest string as well as the second-longest for proper intonation. Similar variations occur on A5th. String changes confirm that this is not due to string tolerances but peculiarities of the guitars.

Archived