Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement pick ups for a Firebird?

Hi,

Among a few others from the factory, I have an Epiphone Firebird Studio, the black type.

It has Alnico Classics in it. I love the shape and the gruffiness of the guitar, but the pickups are, frankly, a bit too thin and limited. They have a bark but not much of a bite. Any suggestions for an upgrade? Have you changed on yours?

I play in punk and metal bands but also experimental electronica stuff and would love to play straight-up clean blues and rhythm with it.

Thanks

Guttorm Andreasen, Oslo, Norway

Welcome. I just changed my answer, after re-reading your post. I had responded as if yours had Firebird pickups, which you stated it didn't. I keep forgetting that some Firebird guitars have humbuckers. Go to the Seymour Duncan website and take a listen to the sound clips they have. Something will stand out for you. My concern would be finding one that does punk/metal and blues. The JB SH-4 is a pretty universal pickup. Good luck on your quest. Keep us posted on your project, take some pictures.

Here's another [thumbup] for Seymour Duncan...who has spent time/effort developing P/U's for Firebirds... [thumbup]

Personal experience includes an SM-2 in a Tokai Firebird (excellent copy)...

Other suggestions are...

Vintage correct Firebird P/U's from Seymour Duncan

P90's which would cover most blues and rock styles in their own punchy way... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Yes, indeed, it has Alnico Classic Humbuckers in it. Burstbuckers seem to be redommended a lot. Anybody?

I've got Burstbuckers in an LP of mine. I really like them. you have a lot of options when replacing humbuckers. I would check out the Duncan site mentioned above also.

Here's another [thumbup] for Seymour Duncan...who has spent time/effort developing P/U's for Firebirds... [thumbup]

Personal experience includes an SM-2 in a Tokai Firebird (excellent copy)...

Other suggestions are...

Vintage correct Firebird P/U's from Seymour Duncan

P90's which would cover most blues and rock styles in their own punchy way... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

For actual Firebird-type pickups, it's hard to beat Lollars. I just recently installed some Zhangbucker FBs in my Sheraton '62 Reissue. It came from the refurbisher, with SM-1s, which were great pickups. But the Zhangs are phenominal. Think very angry telecaster. Too bad his lead time is 2-3 months.

Archived