Gibson Brands Forums

Chameleon tone - demo needed!

captainrico

Hi

must confess to being a bit of a newbie, but I'm not sure if the Chameleon tone stuff on my dark fire is working properly. Whatever I set it to, it sounds the same.

If someone has seen a demo of Chameleon tone on YouTube can they post a link here please. That way I'd know what it's meant to sound like. Then I can work out if it's me or my Dark Fire.

Or if someone would be kind enough to record a demo that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

Rico

Hi

must confess to being a bit of a newbie' date=' but I'm not sure if the Chameleon tone stuff on my dark fire is working properly. Whatever I set it to, it sounds the same.

If someone has seen a demo of Chameleon tone on YouTube can they post a link here please. That way I'd know what it's meant to sound like. Then I can work out if it's me or my Dark Fire.

Thanks in advance.

Rico

[/quote']

Hi captainrico,

I guess you are using only P90h (neck pup).

Chameleon tone has no (maybe a subtle possibly by PEQ) effect when you choose neck pup only.

Try switching to the mixed position (middle position of the pup selector).

If you still don't hear any difference, I'm afraid your guitar has some problems.

Good luck!

Giraku

I also had the same impression playing my DF on a dinky little Roland Cube Street amplifier. Then I plugged into an all tube amplifier and wow!!! There's a whole world of tone in there. Chameleon exists but likes tubes if you ask me. Or at least good amps. Can't explain this from an electronics perspective but I am sure its a fact. So go to your guitar shop, plug into one of their tube amps and see what happens!!!

Hi

must confess to being a bit of a newbie' date=' but I'm not sure if the Chameleon tone stuff on my dark fire is working properly. Whatever I set it to, it sounds the same.

Thanks in advance.

Rico

[/quote']

You really should be able to hear the difference. Might you have inadvertanly changed the coil preset switch and status.?

DF Manual SETUP MODE

Function: 5

Name: Coil Switching Status

Purpose: Setup up your Coil Switching behaviour

Factory Default: 1 (automatically switched)

Clickstream: 5#0# or 5#1# (0=Standard Coils on startup, 1=automatic switched)

If you choose 5#0# the Coils will be switched to Gibson Classic on Startup no matter what you did before.

If you choose 5#1# the Coils will be switched to your last selected sound in Chameleon mode.

Function: 6

Name: Coil Preset Switching

Purpose: Setup up your Coil Switching behaviour when you select a Tuning Preset

Factory Default: 1 (automatically switched)

Clickstream: 6#0# or 6#1# (0=Coils are not switched, 1=Coils are switched to the sound which was stored with the selected preset.

If you choose 6#0# the Coils will not be changed when you select a tuning preset.

If you choose 6#1# the Coils will be switched to your desired sound when you select a tuning preset.

and make sure you have the Pickup EQ enabled.

With the current firmware - its true you will NOT hear any difference with only the Neck PU selected while trying out all the Chameleon tones.

Set the PU selector midway to select both Mag PUs, and you should heat al the various chameleon tone variations.

Chameleon Tone Rundown 8:48 (In Italian)

Archived