Gibson Brands Forums

new pickups

casey_vee

IMG_20140523_204332_zpsjh3wciyn.jpg

I love this guitar so much. It's my first lp. The burstbuckers don't have quite the bite I like. They sound great clean and with digital effects, but I try to go straight guitar to amp and a little post amp reverb and delay in the fx loop.

Anyway, I ordered the sd JB and '59 set with nickel covers. I think they'll look sick on this particular guitar. Is tempted to buy the Suhr Doug Aldrich pickup set because they're nearly identical in output and tone, but at twice the price.

I'm really excited to start making this thing my own.

Has anyone any thoughts on the comparison between the sh-1 59 and the sh-2 jazz in the neck. For rock soloing. Thanks

Your enthusiasm for that axe is awesome!

I don't know enough about the pickups to be much help but the SD '59 is pretty awesome from what I've heard surfing around Youtube!

I think the nickels will look cool on that too!

Record some before & after vids and share 'em...

Can't wait!

Congrats. Had em both... The 59 is a little less output than the jazz in the neck. I really prefer 2 59's with no Jb. I had a jazz pickup in a LP I had a while back and ended up in my es345. I loved the pickup at the time. The 59's are close to a gibson 57 but more earthy to my ears , but very close. I literally had my 58 reissue gold top and a 58 burst side by side. Both 90's LP's mine with 59's and his with gibby 57's Very close. My friend has a studio and I gave him my 59's when I swapped out for some others. He loves them. The Jb and jazz set sounded muddy in comparison according to him. Hope I helped

@turtle

Yeah I was looking for the neck pup to be a little dryer than a jazz. Kind of like the way a single coil cuts through the mix easier than a humbucker. I have coil splits too but its one more switch (pull pot) to make when getting over to that sound. With the flick of the 3way I can get right to the solo sound I want in a certain register. I reckon I'll try a jazz sooner or later. This is the first mod. If I like it it'll no doubt stick.

Thanks for the info. I love hearing about other people's experiences in modding.

Archived