Gibson Brands Forums

question on graph tech saddles

kevinkjs

I hear good things about Graph Tech String Saver saddles on Les Pauls. I've also heard that treble is somewhat

decreased. Graph Tech states that all that is lost is a 2KHz "spike". Can anyone explain what this means? Any

replies would be greatly appreciated.

You hear right, kevinkjs.

Graph Tech makes four types of saddles. Three of the four are attached to the three ResoMax bridges.

You can buy GT String Saver saddles by themselves.

The 'spike' they refer to is typical to the factory steel saddles.

GT's NV2 bridge has String Saver saddles, but they are both darker and smoother than the SS saddles bought separately.

The SS saddles one can purchase as a set are a bit more gray and 'rough looking'. Both of these saddles are made from

the same material (according to GT). So, the SS saddles kind of get rid of that 'trebly spike' PLUS they open up the

sound and evens it out (you will notice a difference immediately). Unreal product.

OK, GT's other two bridges' saddles have their proprietory alloy (like all three bridges) that 'retains' that 'spike' or 'treble', if you will.

On the NV1 bridge, these saddles are triple-plated. On the NVS bridge, these are coated with, well you can look at their site.

Bottom Line: If it were me, I would get a set of six GT SS saddles and install them on the stock LP bridge.

I personally dislike the 'spike' plus LOL I've had all three GT bridges and the SS saddles on the stock bridge.

That is my set-up: Graph Tech String Saver saddles installed on my stock bridge.

A little wordy here, I know, but I figured a brain-dump may assist you.

One more thing: the SS saddles DO NOT change the 'Les Paul' sound, IMO. They allow the LP to use all of its potential, IMO.

There are several forum members here who use these saddles. I haven't read a complaint yet. [smile]

The brain dump is much appreciated. You've convinced me to get the SS saddles for my Nashville Tune-o-Matic.

By the way my LP Standard is a 1999 and I've already installed a TusqXL nut, so I'm really looking forward to the upgrade.

Thanks- Kevinkjs

+1 for the graph tech saddles, I have. Them on all of my les ups and they make a huge difference, and you will notice the biggest tonal difference by having the tusq nut as well. It opens up the entire tone more, let's the guitar breath better. You will really dig it!!

Archived