Gibson Brands Forums

ThroBak P.A.F.s vs 57' Classics

LightningLopez

Hello people,

The topic says it all. Wondering if anyone has compared ThroBak humbuckers with the 57' Classics? I got a pair of 57' Classics in my ES-175, and I have always liked em, but then, I've heard vintage humbuckers with a rich, slightly rough and beautifully complex tonality I've never been able to bring outta mine. Mine sound real clean, which I like. But the one thing that really bugs me about them is that I find the midtones a bit... well... dull and kinda insipid. Like it's too neutral; not much darkness, not much depth to it.

I usually work around this this on my amp, by compensating with high bass and treble. So I was tossing up an upgrade, but then the ThroBaks are pretty pricey, and the 57' Classics are already beautiful pick-ups.

Any ideas or experiences? For what it's worth, two of my fav. musicians, Chicago gutarist Joel Paterson and R&B revivalist Nick Waterhouse use the ThroBaks. That counts for a quite bit in my eyes.

Oh and I mostly play through a Vox Nighttrain. Beautiful little 15w valve number.

-D

Archived